Help! trek e/bike

n.r.evans

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2011
Hello , A good friend of mine owns a TREK e/bike he puchsed it new 18 months ago and has from the begining complained about poor braking he has raised the question on several occasions with the supplying dealer. He would like to fit a 180mm front disc to try to improve braking but the bike is fitted with carbon fibre front forks the dealer has warned him that this could cause the forks to snap . I should state the current front disc is 160 mm diameter . Has anyone out there experienced any thing like this before?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i have hope 203mm rotors front and rear as smaller rotors heat up faster and thus get less braking force.

2 part rotors are also better that 1 piece ones but cost more mine were about 40 quid each.

i cant see the cf fork being a problem with rotor size not going up 20mm anyway..

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
Hello , A good friend of mine owns a TREK e/bike he puchsed it new 18 months ago and has from the begining complained about poor braking he has raised the question on several occasions with the supplying dealer. He would like to fit a 180mm front disc to try to improve braking but the bike is fitted with carbon fibre front forks the dealer has warned him that this could cause the forks to snap . I should state the current front disc is 160 mm diameter . Has anyone out there experienced any thing like this before?
I had a Trek 18 months to 2 years ago and some batches of the Sram guide brakes had faulty non return valves causing loss of fluid pressure. If too much lever slack is not the problem I would try different pads. I eventually changed my front brake to a Shimano XT.

Reactions: Andy-Mat

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Don't forget he/she will need a new calliper mount as well for a 180 rotor.

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
I had a Trek 18 months to 2 years ago and some batches of the Sram guide brakes had faulty non return valves causing loss of fluid pressure. If too much lever slack is not the problem I would try different pads. I eventually changed my front brake to a Shimano XT.
baz

Was the xt a 4 pot system on what size disc?

n.r.evans

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2011
thanks to all I think the way forward is to try a different pad the bike has covered over 2000 miles and the existing pads are showing very little wear

Kwozzymodo

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2017
Lincolnshire
If the front brake is not being used very often you may experience glazing on the pads and rotor. A rub down with some 240 grit wet and dry on both sides of the rotor and the pads (be gentle on the pads as you are only removing the glazing) may solve the issue.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
thanks to all I think the way forward is to try a different pad the bike has covered over 2000 miles and the existing pads are showing very little wear
My own bike, with relatively cheap brakes, is superb in hard but progressive stopping power (I have never owned a bike with such stopping power, and its my first with disks!), but the pads last less than 1000 miles, probably a lot less (who cares!), but good braking is more important to me than price.
It might save a life! MINE!!
Something is wrong with those pads in my view.....
Andy

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i would give the calipers a good clean and check the pistons as could be stuck not moving as much as they could.

if they are hydraulic brakes id also bleed them as could also be the problem if pad wear is low as not making full contact with the rotor.