Trek Electric Bikes

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
I'm keen to find out if anyone has ridden the new Trek electric bikes. If so, please could someone post their thoughts on the bike.

Many thanks.

Urbanpuma

Barry Heaven

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
I had a test ride on one last year when I was deciding which e-bike to get. It was pretty impressive and I particularly liked that you can half pull the front brake pedal to brake using the re-gen, which of course helps boosts the battery (a bit) and saves on brake block wear. I eventually went for the Pro Connect mainly due to its reputation but it was close and it would be nice to have the regen option. The regen does give a little bit of drag. I didn't particularly notice it on the test ride but it would be interesting to hear from those who have tried one for a longer time.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm fairly sure HarryB tried one as well, I remember him being impressed with the BionX motor, so hopefully he'll spot this thread.

nab

Pedelecer
May 10, 2010
took one out for an hour recently. the fx+.

really, really nice bike. the bionx system was very responsive and at the highest setting (200%) ate up the hills in conjunction with the low gears; however this did drain the battery quite quickly. If I had used the third or second assistance level I'm sure it would have been better but the highest setting really was fun.

the bike itself is a quick commuter style hybrid and is a good looking machine in the flesh.

It has been pointed out on here that the batteries may well be rather expensive to replace because, I think, Bionx aren't that well established in the UK yet. Perhaps that will change?

Some of the other bikes that I have tried so far feel different from normal bikes; more substantial, chunky and obviously an electric bike. But the Trek bike really felt like a normal bike with the extra support from the battery which I found very impressive. It's easy to forget that it is electric as the motor seemed so quiet.

I can imagine that a strong cyclist who likes to go quick would love this bike. For a short commute where you could use a high power setting all the way it would be fantastic; nippy and responsive.

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
Thanks for your replies. Evans Cycles told me recently that they will be stocking the bike soon so i'm hoping to pop along to see it.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Just a shame they dont do the 10amp in frame battery...probably because of price:( and as has been discussed recently on here, the price of replacement batteries makes these a no go I'm afraid:rolleyes:

nab

Pedelecer
May 10, 2010
Just a shame they dont do the 10amp in frame battery...probably because of price:( and as has been discussed recently on here, the price of replacement batteries makes these a no go I'm afraid:rolleyes:
both these factors have put me off quite a lot. it's quite a shame really because it's a great ride.