trouble at mill

geezee74

Pedelecer
Jun 1, 2011
Hi, I purchased this bike;

electric bike conversion twin shock 36v brushless | eBay

last year but have hardly used it. I have been on a couple of rides recently with little problems. However, last week I charged the bike for about 4 hours but when I tested it there was no power.
A neighbour (a engineer) has tested the batteries and they seem to be holding a charge. He said that there was a power drain somewhere. I have charged the bike again but there is no movement when I twist the throttle.

As you can probably note, I know very little about electrical and any help would be very warmly received.

Cheers, Zack

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
Where has the bike been stored,if outside or in a shed could it have got wet recently,if so it could just need drying out thoroughly,the battery voltage should be reading around 39volts for the three connected lead acids,or 42volts immediatelly after fully charging.

geezee74

Pedelecer
Jun 1, 2011
Thank you, the bike has been stored in the garage. I have charged it but I still cannot get any result when I twist the throttle.

Cheers, Zack

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
It sounds like you got a good bike from the description even if the battery is duff. Are you able to test the voltage at the battery when it's all connected to see if the terminals are at the right voltage? Then you'll get an idea if the fault is the battery or somewhere else.

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
Check the break cutouts aren't engaged, fell off mine the other day and it wouldn't start because I had bent a brake lever and hence the cutout.

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
The battery is the correct starting point even if your neigbour is an engineer,he may not be an expert on battery voltages,how recently was your last ride.

geezee74

Pedelecer
Jun 1, 2011
Hi sorry for not responding but I have been away. My last ride was about three weeks ago. I have not riden the bike since as it is not working.

The battery is charging but as soon as I turn the key to the on position the batteries begin to drain.

There is absolutely nothing happenning when I twist the throttle.

I appreciate the help, Zack