Trying to fit pas sensor to shimano sora pedel

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
With any Hollowtech type BB they are best fitted on the drive side behind the small chain ring , as with your pic you are not able to drill out with a hole saw just buy a BZ10c pas for about £10 - £12 and all the work is done for you.

Raznutz1

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 4, 2021
With any Hollowtech type BB they are best fitted on the drive side behind the small chain ring , as with your pic you are not able to drill out with a hole saw just buy a BZ10c pas for about £10 - £12 and all the work is done for you.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Fit them to the inside of the small chain ring, use epoxy glue or I drill mine and use the chain ring bolts.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The sensor type that you have is sometimes handed, so it will only work on one side of the bike. You should connect it to the controller, switch on and test in in your hand to see which way it works. There are two directions of rotation and two ways up you can have the magnet disc against the sensor, which makes 4 possibilities.Either 1 or 2 of the possibilities will cause the controller to spin the motor. If 2 combinatins work, you can mount it on either side of the bike, but if only one works, you have to mount it in that configuration so that it works when pedalling forward.

You should do this test for any pedal sensor to make sure it works right first time.

Raznutz1

Sep 4, 2021
The sensor type that you have is sometimes handed, so it will only work on one side of the bike. You should connect it to the controller, switch on and test in in your hand to see which way it works. There are two directions of rotation and two ways up you can have the magnet disc against the sensor, which makes 4 possibilities.Either 1 or 2 of the possibilities will cause the controller to spin the motor. If 2 combinatins work, you can mount it on either side of the bike, but if only one works, you have to mount it in that configuration so that it works when pedalling forward.

You should do this test for any pedal sensor to make sure it works right first time.
I want it like yours on that side of the pedel
But my Sensor is on the frame.
How did you attach big black ring to the pedel?

Attachments

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I want it like yours on that side of the pedel
But my Sensor is on the frame.
How did you attach big black ring to the pedel?
You can only have it like mine if it's a left side or either side sensor. There's a good chance that it's a right side only sensor. You have to test it, like I said.

I removed the bottom bracket spacers that sit behind the bearing holders and fitted the sensor bracket between the bearing holder and the frame on the left side after reversing (flipping) the sensor on its bracket so that it reached forward instead of back, then I drilled a 25mm hole in the plastic and put it on the shaft between the pedal arm and the bearing holder. The sensor reached a little too far forward, so I had to bend the bracket back a bit.

Your ensor attaches to the frameand looks to be about the right distance if you had clamped the disc between the pedal arm and bearing holder like I did, but it looks like you've made the hole too big.

Raznutz1

Sep 4, 2021
yes i have made it to big
so were you see the sensor on the frame
i did try putting the plastic between the pedel and bearing holder but there was no room to bolt on the pedel,did you grind down the pedel
also were you see the sensor i did hold the plastic part around rotated the ring and the bike moved forward so it works
i just need to fit the plastic between the pedel and bearing holder

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
yes i have made it to big
so were you see the sensor on the frame
i did try putting the plastic between the pedel and bearing holder but there was no room to bolt on the pedel,did you grind down the pedel
also were you see the sensor i did hold the plastic part around rotated the ring and the bike moved forward so it works
i just need to fit the plastic between the pedel and bearing holder
You have to take the bearing holders off and remove the spacers behind them. They're about 2.5mm thick each, so you gain 5mm. Sometimes the plastic magnet discs are thiker in the middle, in which case you grind it down to the same thickness as the outer bit.

If you have an internal plastic sleeve between the bearings, you'll have to remove that too or reduce its length by 5mm. It's not really needed.

You only have the plastic spacers behind the bearing holders if your bottom bracket is 68mm. If you have 73mm, there's not much you can do.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
You only have the plastic spacers behind the bearing holders if your bottom bracket is 68mm. If you have 73mm, there's not much you can do.
I'd just give my customers an extra 2mm spacer.
An alternative quick fix is to use a seat post mount adapter.
We use more and more of them. You only have to stick on the cut out magnet disc, attach the pedal sensor to the seat post and it's done. No need for a ballbearing spanner.

Raznutz1

Sep 4, 2021
I'd just give my customers an extra 2mm spacer.
An alternative quick fix is to use a seat post mount adapter.
We use more and more of them. You only have to stick on the cut out magnet disc, attach the pedal sensor to the seat post and it's done. No need for a ballbearing spanner.

Hi there
My crank is totally different to yours so mud it work.see my pic

Attachments

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
My crank is totally different to yours so mud it work.see my pic
here are some pictures for ideas:

use seat post adapter:

Raznutz1

Sep 4, 2021
thanks for that but all of your pics have 3 on then and mine only have 2
ive tryed but mine dont it on

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
How did you attach big black ring to the chainring?
you can use double-sided sticky pads for a semi-permanent fix. After it's all working, add epoxy glue or screws for a permanent fix.