TSDZ2 "Brake Error"

bpratl

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 20, 2021
Gloucester, MA, USA
TSDZ2, 860C, 52V, OSF V20.1.3.....Just got a brake error after one year of no problems. This started after a recharge to 58.6 volts and the error occurs with or without the brake cables connected.
I can access the menu, and all looks good and normal accept I don't get a Voltage reading on the display and the motor is locked. Trying new cables and upgrading OSF to V20.1C.4 did not help.
Is there anyway of testing or bench checking the controller?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

bpratl

Nov 20, 2021
Gloucester, MA, USA
not without proven working LCD and cable.
I did try a replacement Display, with the correct firmware, and checked the cables for shorts/opens and I still get the brake error. Everything has been working flawlessly for the past year, until this problem.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Everything has been working flawlessly for the past year, until this problem.
even after you unplug the brake sensors?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Unplug the speed sensor to see if the brake error goes away. If it does not,then your controller is the source of the error.

bpratl

Nov 20, 2021
Gloucester, MA, USA
Update, I finally made time to replace the controller, add thermal pads to the motor, update OSF V20 to .4 and now everything is back to normal. The controller was the culprit, but I not sure if my shutting off the battery first caused the "Brake Error" failure or just a defective controller. There were no visual burnt components on the controller.

Reactions: Bikes4two and Woosh

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Update, ............ There were no visual burnt components on the controller.
I suspect that for what ever reason, the micro controller itself can become firmware corrupt or electronically fail and simply stops working.

I have no proof that this is the case but my installation just stopped working after around 2,700km and shortly after I'd loaded v20.1c.2 for my vlcd6 setup - coincidence or not, I really couldn't say, but I could not communicate with the controller with my laptop, so that was it until I installed a new controller.