Help! TSDZ2 E-bike conversion

electric nigel

Just Joined
Feb 14, 2020
I have recently fitted two TSDZ2 kit to Specialized Cross-trail bikes, it has really transformed my trips out with no more fighting headwinds or walking up hills. Please make contact if you want any information regarding the conversion journey.
There is however a small concern - there is about a 2mm float on the bottom sprocket bearing when held at 9 - 3, should I be concerned or is this level of float acceptable - I've only done 35 miles on mostly flat gravel paths & roads at no great speed or aggressive riding.

Attachments

Nothing2SeeHere

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2014
Looks a nice conversion. By sprocket bearing, do you mean the bottom bracket and the pedals can move a little? If so then some play is normal unfortunately

electric nigel

Just Joined
Feb 14, 2020
Looks a nice conversion. By sprocket bearing, do you mean the bottom bracket and the pedals can move a little? If so then some play is normal unfortunately
Thanks for the response, as an engineer I am always looking for perfect. 400 miles of use & my two conversions are going great, the movement is in the bottom bracket and by tightening the crank arm a little more I have reduced this float, investigation has shown a rubber o-ring behind the main gear plate so I guess there will always be some movement, but it has no effect on the ride quality.
Still the best idea yet to rejuvenate cycle interest.

Nothing2SeeHere

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2014
The problem is that the bearings for the crank are set fairly central in the motor. You can take the rubber bung out from the non drive side and shim the bearings out a little (there is nominally a single crush washer on this side to remove the play so you can remove the circlip, add a 0.1mm or 0.2mm washer and then put the circlip back in again) and this should help a little bit. Its something to keep an eye on as increased play over time can be evidence of a problem.