Tubeless tyre - FAIL

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Wheeled the bike out today, thought the rear (diy tubeless) looked/felt a bit soft so put some air in it. As I pulled the inflater off the valve, the stem insert came out, followed by rapid deflation.
Bummer. Cheap crappy tubes and as far as I recall, it wasn't a rubbish tube either, I made a point of getting something supposedly decent quality for that part.
So, tomorrow I'll try to bond the core stem back in, but I can see me just putting a tube in for the foreseeable. It's worked well though; for nearly two years I've had a tubeless tyre that was fine and it wasn't the tubeless concept that failed, just the crappy valve stem.

Growbag

Pedelecer
Jul 26, 2013
Torbay, Devon
Slightly off topic (and definitely no good for a dodgy valve) but has anybody used those puncture preventatives? If so are there any decent recommendations.

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
notubes stans liquid is good - i've been using the same bottle for about 20 years :)

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
for me, i used them for downhill MTB (i think i was one of the inital UST riders in the UK) for me the main advantages were less punctures,faster (less rolling resistance than tubes) better feel from the tyres, and better at lower pressure.

Haven't put them on the ebike, as painful to fit and to change tyres, as i can't have a spare set of wheels on the ebike, this is a bigger problem.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Hi. I use Slime in mine lovely colour and I've not had a puncture in2 years or more.
Hi Steve.c a long 4 inch rusty nail will be hunting you down now, because the thorns have just given up.
This is what happened to me.

MS.

steve.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2011
Exeter Devon
Ha Ha hope not I've just cycled 10 miles to a pub and a long push home ??? ( Double Locks Exeter ) look it up ?? Lovely sunny day.
Regards. Steve

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Hi DC.Good point but it shows that it works !!!!! as to how many punctures I may have had ????.
Regards Steve.:cool:
I use Puncturesafe in my car tyres as I only have an emergency spare, a similar idea which seals the punctures before you loose any air so I'll never know unless I get the magnifying glass out.
I do check for nails regularly though, on the car that is.
belt and braces is always good.:)
Dave.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Well, sorted it.
Just cleaned up the stem and pushed it back in with superglue. It's holding 30psi ok (2 bar for you modern types). I'll see what it's like in the morning and take a run out on it.
I think it's due time for a re-charge of the diy slime (latex mix), as it's been in there from the beginning and from what others have found, does need the occasional top-up.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Slightly off topic (and definitely no good for a dodgy valve) but has anybody used those puncture preventatives? If so are there any decent recommendations.
I asked for slime to be used on my new bike, I find it very good but a pest to install. I have used Halfords own when available and some yellow stuff I got from No Flats Yellow Gel Tyre Sealant 2013 | Chain Reaction Cycles. Thinner and easier to squeeze into the tube.
I once had a problem repairing a puncture and used slime for the first time, it sealed the leak and ran for years.
It says on the slime container not to force it in. I did and had to drill the valve stem to clear it. It works, good stuff apart from once in the snow. Didn't have a chance of sealing apart from a load of hawthorne cuttings the snow hid from me.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
I asked for slime to be used on my new bike, I find it very good but a pest to install. I have used Halfords own when available and some yellow stuff I got from No Flats Yellow Gel Tyre Sealant 2013 | Chain Reaction Cycles. Thinner and easier to squeeze into the tube.
I once had a problem repairing a puncture and used slime for the first time, it sealed the leak and ran for years.
It says on the slime container not to force it in. I did and had to drill the valve stem to clear it. It works, good stuff apart from once in the snow. Didn't have a chance of sealing apart from a load of hawthorne cuttings the snow hid from me.
Hi Croxden,

I do not know who to believe these days, one year it is Mr Yellow then Mr Green then Mr White , the next one should be named Mr All Nations, sorry Mr Joe's.

MS.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Hi Croxden,

I do not know who to believe these days, one year it is Mr Yellow then Mr Green then Mr White , the next one should be named Mr All Nations, sorry Mr Joe's.

MS.
Captain Scarlet was the best.

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
I had a similar problem with green slim jamming up the tube valve, which prevented me from inflating. Must have been the design of the valve. In the end i had to remove the valve core and replace it with a core from another tube.

Also i would advise you all avoid the plastic tube liners also manufactured by the green slim company.
I thought these would offer extra protection, but no. Not only were they a dog to fit, but when the pressure dropped in the tube, they ended up cutting the tube to shreds, making normal repairs impossible. Maybe i fitted the liner incorrectly. Never again.

HypnoToad

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 13, 2012
Well, sorted it.
Just cleaned up the stem and pushed it back in with superglue. It's holding 30psi ok (2 bar for you modern types). I'll see what it's like in the morning and take a run out on it.
I think it's due time for a re-charge of the diy slime (latex mix), as it's been in there from the beginning and from what others have found, does need the occasional top-up.
How to you make diy slime?

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
It's just latex.
Aah.....so would you say you are an expert in latex and do it yourself slime dave ?

If so, care to share some tips ?.... because I get the impression that croxden is gagging to find out :p :D

Lynda :)