Two boys die in "ebike" accident: Cardiff riot broke out after 'police prevented parents seeing fatal crash victims', close relative says

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Cardiff riot broke out after 'police prevented parents seeing fatal crash victims', close relative says

Fireworks and other missiles were thrown at a line of police officers with riot shields who were blocking one end of the street during the disorder on Monday night.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
"Friends of the two boys, who were from the Ely area, said they were riding a Sur-Ron electric bike without helmets when they died."

" Alun Michael, the Police and Crime Commissioner in South Wales, told BBC Radio 4: “My understanding is that there was a road traffic accident involving two teenagers on an
off-road bike or scooter and sadly, they died."

Last edited:

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
I feel sad for the families of the two lads.

The media reporting what are electric motorbikes as ' e-bikes ' doesn't help the reputation of law abiding legally riding pedelecers

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
CCTV 'shows police van following boys on e-bike minutes before fatal crash that sparked Cardiff riots' - after force disputed claims that the death of two teenagers in 'chase' was to blame

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Cardiff riot: Police force refers itself to watchdog as CCTV shows van following e-bike before fatal crash

A riot erupted last night in the city after Kyrees Sullivan, 16, and 15-year-old Harvey Evans, who were riding an electric bike, died in a crash.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Looks like the police were chasing them, but denied they were chasing them. Typical fudging of the truth by the law. How many times do we see that.

Condolences for the families of all concerned. A couple of scallywags it appears, but who wasnt at that age.

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
Yes, there is clear door bell cam footage on BBC showing the cops following behind the two boys at speed shortly before the crash.

Yet again moron cops have tried to lie as they know they're not allowed to follow in that manner...and then their moron bosses spew the lies in the the public domain to try and cover their backs.

Doesn't matter though if you're a bent copper and have lied, won't even get a slap on the wrists.

I don't really get the local chavs though, you don't crap on your own doorstep but they did...they deserve what they get...

• Dislike
Reactions: Bikes4two

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Yet again moron cops have tried to lie as they know they're not allowed to follow in that manner...
So if the Police see someone in\on what appears to be an illegal vehicle, they are not allowed to follow ?

Of course we dont yet know why the riders were being followed in the first place, maybe something of interest happened earlier ?

Last edited:

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Looks like the police were chasing them, but denied they were chasing them. Typical fudging of the truth by the law. How many times do we see that.
That is odd yes.

These days, with so much video being recorded, just about everywhere, even on urban streets, the Police would know that thay could not cover up a 'chase' for for very long.

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
So if the Police see someone in\on what appears to be an illegal vehicle, they are not allowed to follow ?

Of course we don't yet know why the riders were being followed in the first place, maybe something of interest happened earlier ?
Policy differs around the UK but my understanding is that cops are mostly told not to chase motorised bikes if driver(s) are not wearing helmets as 'life' in a civil society is supposed to trump a charge sheet.

Yes we don't fully know what they were up to before the cops trailed them but most likely to be the fact that it's two kids with no helmets riding a powerful ebike that could be stolen.

Whoever owns the bike and let the kids ride it especially with no helmets has questions to answer.

Why do they need more CCTV footage when there were two officers in the van at the time....they cannot take the word of their own officers...that is shocking.

It looks like they lost control and went on to the bus head-on. I feel for the families/friends.

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
Was it a chase or were the police just following waiting for the ebike to stop. What was the legality of the ebike? I personally think the police have the right to stop anyone that they think is riding illegally. Was the bike designed for two passengers? What was its assisted speed? It's a no win for the police, if they do nothing they are criticised and if they do something and it leads to an accident they are blamed too. Personally I'd just shoot the rioters I don't think we should tolerate that at all and every rioter is pure scum in my opinion. I class them the same as looters. Surely the blame for this is lack of control by one of the boys and if they thought they were being chased by the police they should have stopped.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
plod cant force ppl on motor bikes off the road unless they have crash helmets so they was running for something else.

they either crashed or plod went right up there ass but with no splat hats on a bike like that that can hit 60mph+ 50-60kg and accelerate faster than a car you die.

and how can they afford a 10k bike says it all ;)

sneggysteve

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2020
Was it a chase or were the police just following waiting for the ebike to stop. What was the legality of the ebike? I personally think the police have the right to stop anyone that they think is riding illegally. Was the bike designed for two passengers? What was its assisted speed? It's a no win for the police, if they do nothing they are criticised and if they do something and it leads to an accident they are blamed too. Personally I'd just shoot the rioters I don't think we should tolerate that at all and every rioter is pure scum in my opinion. I class them the same as looters. Surely the blame for this is lack of control by one of the boys and if they thought they were being chased by the police they should have stopped.
Strange how rioters can pull out balacalavas from their fashion accessories so easily? Last one I had was 60 years ago knitted by my mother to go to school !!

Reactions: portals and snafu

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
what appears to be an illegal vehicle
Why interject something you have no knowledge of ?

and how can they afford a 10k bike says it all ;)
£4k. You just making the figures up.
You are a Cardiff police officer and I claim my 5 pounds.

"Riding Illegally"
Oh, not like anyone here has ever done that. Derestrrict much eh ?.

Last edited:

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019

£4k. You just making the figures up.
You are a Cardiff police officer and I claim my 5 pounds.

"Riding Illegally"
Oh, not like anyone here has ever done that. Derestrrict much eh ?.
I'd be very surprised if it was legal. It's a pre-built ebike and clearly they aren't peddling its going at a high speed. It's been stated it is a Sur Ron ebike and looks to be an off-road model. These kids had no regard for the safety of others and the bike I guess would have been confiscated and crushed if they were caught which probably motivated them to not stop for the police. Yes there is a small chance the ebike was legal but that seems an extremely unlikely stretch based on its design and the speed it was going without pedaling.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I actually asked a question, the full text of which was;

"So if the Police see someone in\on what appears to be an illegal vehicle, they are not allowed to follow ?

I have no idea if the bike in the video was legal or not, but clearly its relavent to know what the Police are able to do if they think it might be.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I have no idea if the bike in the video was legal or not, but clearly its relavent to know what the Police are able to do if they think it might be.
the bike does not appear to be road legal. Still, the police should have explained that they were following the boys, they did not contest the CCTV video we have all seen. Instead, they insisted that none of their cars/vans are in the road where the accident happened. Even if they had no part in the accident itself, that is not good communication.
Why nobody asks the bus driver what happened?

Reactions: Bikes4two

mountainride

Just Joined
May 24, 2023
Yes, there is clear door bell cam footage on BBC showing the cops following behind the two boys at speed shortly before the crash.

Yet again moron cops have tried to lie as they know they're not allowed to follow in that manner...and then their moron bosses spew the lies in the the public domain to try and cover their backs.

Doesn't matter though if you're a bent copper and have lied, won't even get a slap on the wrists.

I don't really get the local chavs though, you don't crap on your own doorstep but they did...they deserve what they get...
I agree, typical police behavior

sneggysteve

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2020
We are all making comments without knowing all the facts here – that happens but why is there so much vitriol against the police without the facts? I am sure there must be serving / retired officers who are members of this forum and they would be dismayed by some of the comments. We ask these people to police society for us but tie one hand behind their back. I am not / never have been / never will be a police officer but I feel comments on police behaviour should be kept to yourselves until the facts are known, AND I do accept that not every officer is squeaky clean and neither are we.