Two hub conversions side by side comparison....

alexsally

Pedelecer
Dec 22, 2016
powys
I've converted two mtb now, one for me and one for the other half. I must be misunderstanding something because they perform in a way I wouldn't expect from what I've been trying to learn on here.
Hers is a ebc kit fitted to a gt mtb. Their info says it is a 36v low rpm motor:
IMG_20170516_173045494 by alex sally, on Flickr

It is very smooth. It has that electric "whirr" noise to it , even after a couple of hundred miles'. the tech spec says
Technology – Brushless Geared Motor

RPM – 100 – 235

Max Torque – 15N.m

With the lower rpm I would expect it to be better on hills but....

My bike, not that it matters which we ride, is similar with a 36v hub like this.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Retrofit-Kit-36V350W-26-Rear-Motor-Cassette-E-Bike-Hub-Conversion-LCD-Display/302237557385?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=47048&meid=c43a889177df4451a5515f56eff14ec1&pid=100678&rk=3&rkt=9&mehot=lo&sd=132319907149&_trksid=p2481888.c100678.m3607&_trkparms=pageci%3A6b241f90-9549-11e7-a412-74dbd1806b18%7Cparentrq%3A662da8f915e0ab1caccf3987ffff10f1%7Ciid%3A1

On paper it looks the same but it's marked/ sold as 350w (which I understand is just marketing)
my bike looks like this:
IMG_20170613_183405 by alex sally, on Flickr

My other half thinks this one is quite a bit better. Both bikes deal with a hill upto 20% but mine is quieter (almost silent tbh). more torque and more assisted. I can go most places on 1-3 and only 5 for the 20% bits.
They both use the same rated controller and both do about 25mph with the wheel in the air. Mine is a cassette fitting which I doubt makes much difference.
So, I emailed ysbattery because at £199 I was going to order another hub and swap hers out...In the email I asked what rpm the motor was , expecting them to say "201rpm" which I gathered might be what gave the extra torque. they emailed back and said
"the kits are all 300-320rpm"
I gathered that that high rpm would be lower torque but it feels higher??? 15a controller and 36v. mmm
I'm tempted not to worry about the science (although its bugging me) . my only obstacle is fitting the cassette hub in her bike which has and had a freewheel but I guess I can get a cassette easy enough.
So is the 350w hub really more torque than the 250w?
BTW anyone reading this who has never converted or ridden an ebike. This is a side by side comparison. Both are great. Either will do a 10 mile mountain trek around mid wales without problem. The ysbattery kit or elfieshop kit are better connectors etc but both are very good value. If i was doing it again I would probably have gone crank because I see woosh have bbs02 at £399...where torque etc would not be an issue I doubt.
Alex

• Informative
Reactions: Gaz

daffy99

Pedelecer
Jul 17, 2017
Switzerland
I can only offer a comment on the ysbattery statement: They claim that their sets can achieve a top speed of about 32-35 km/h (20+ mph). In a 26/28" wheel, that means that the motor outputs 260 rpm, give or take (tyre circumreference * rpm = speed)

There are three factors which will drive performance of your two systems:
  • ability of the battery (cells!) to deliver power (amps * volts = watts); this is largely driven by cell quality (which will also degrade over time)
  • ability / configuration of the controller to draw and push power (internal construction with MOSFETs, sinus wave driving / hall sensors)
  • gearing of the motor
Have you already reviewed battery and controller performance across your bikes?

On a side note: I am anxiously waiting for the ysbattery version of the 26" cassette kit to arrive ...

alexsally

Pedelecer
Dec 22, 2016
powys
I can only offer a comment on the ysbattery statement: They claim that their sets can achieve a top speed of about 32-35 km/h (20+ mph). In a 26/28" wheel, that means that the motor outputs 260 rpm, give or take (tyre circumreference * rpm = speed)

There are three factors which will drive performance of your two systems:
  • ability of the battery (cells!) to deliver power (amps * volts = watts); this is largely driven by cell quality (which will also degrade over time)
  • ability / configuration of the controller to draw and push power (internal construction with MOSFETs, sinus wave driving / hall sensors)
  • gearing of the motor
Have you already reviewed battery and controller performance across your bikes?

On a side note: I am anxiously waiting for the ysbattery version of the 26" cassette kit to arrive ...
You'll like the kit. Battery is not so different as I've swapped them around.
There are quite a few subtle differences that make the ysbattery one better. I also swapped battery to a 17ah one which improved it again. Although that one is mostly in my head, knowing I can go further
Alex

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Do they both have sine wave controllers?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Square wave and sine wave controllers share the same housing, the internals are different.

alexsally

Pedelecer
Dec 22, 2016
powys
mmm. I think I checked mine but I'm not sure about the one on the ebc kit. Unless anyone knows if its sine or not? If I google image search the controller it says
Contrôleur 15A 250W
Référence KT36ZWSR
Alex

ah. and an old panda bikes page (cached) says
Model no.KT36ZWSR-FZ19NMax Voltage50VMin (cutoff) voltage30VMax current15ARated Current7AMOSFETs6MOSControl typeHall sensors, square wave

sooo, would that be the difference and could I get a sine wave controller to fit instead? big job.? and could I get a 20a one?
it looks like this:
http://www.electricbikeconversions.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/250w-ECU-Copy-Copy.jpg
Alex

Last edited:

daffy99

Pedelecer
Jul 17, 2017
Switzerland

alexsally

Pedelecer
Dec 22, 2016
powys
"KT36ZWSR" is Kunteng square wave controller. The Internet says (haha) that sine wave controllers are much, much nicer.

The controller linked to below is sine wave, possibly plug-and-play, because that's a Kunteng sine wave controller:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/36V-48V-500W-Brushless-DC-Sine-Wave-sensor-Controller-ebike-Electric-Bicycle-Hub-Motor-Controller-with/1314442_32759790640.html

Don't kill your motor by pushing too much energy into it, for too long.
brilliant thanks . Do you think that is what makes my other noticeably nicer? It'll be cheap to find out..
Alex

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
It will be much quieter with a sine wave controller and power delivery should be smoother.

alexsally

Pedelecer
Dec 22, 2016
powys
"KT36ZWSR" is Kunteng square wave controller. The Internet says (haha) that sine wave controllers are much, much nicer.

The controller linked to below is sine wave, possibly plug-and-play, because that's a Kunteng sine wave controller:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/36V-48V-500W-Brushless-DC-Sine-Wave-sensor-Controller-ebike-Electric-Bicycle-Hub-Motor-Controller-with/1314442_32759790640.html

Don't kill your motor by pushing too much energy into it, for too long.
cool. there's also a 350w one there which is only 17a. That might be a bit less likely to damage the motor.?

D

Deleted member 4366

KT controllers are just much better than most other controllers. They use current control instead of speed control, and your one is a sine-wave one, which makes the motor smooth and quiet.

The difference in power is most likely down to the current that the controller allows. The labels only show approximately what it is. You need to measure it to find out what you actually have. Battery voltage also makes a big difference, so if you want to do a side-by-side comparison, make sure that both batteries are fully charged and the same voltage.

If you want to increase the power of hers, you can add a blob of solder to the shunt in the controller. You can normally go to about 18 amps without problems.

Reactions: alexsally