Two position throttle

BGElect

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2008
Hi,

Inspired by the throttle of the Cytronex I was wondering if anyone has built a similar device? I would like to have a two speed setting, low speed optimised for max hill climb support (on a 20inch folder) and one at max speed.

I'm thinking I could use the throttle input to the controller that is looking for a 1 to 4 volt signal using a "simple" electronic circuit to create the two states and using the brakes to force the circuit into the 0 volt output, very similar to the Cytronex logic. So, first press of button for low speed, second press for high speed press again to toggle between low and high speed, apply break switch (first part of break lever travel) to reset to zero.

Anyone done this already and is willing to share the circuit?

Brian

john

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2007
Manchester
Hi,

Inspired by the throttle of the Cytronex I was wondering if anyone has built a similar device? I would like to have a two speed setting, low speed optimised for max hill climb support (on a 20inch folder) and one at max speed.

I'm thinking I could use the throttle input to the controller that is looking for a 1 to 4 volt signal using a "simple" electronic circuit to create the two states and using the brakes to force the circuit into the 0 volt output, very similar to the Cytronex logic. So, first press of button for low speed, second press for high speed press again to toggle between low and high speed, apply break switch (first part of break lever travel) to reset to zero.

Anyone done this already and is willing to share the circuit?

Brian
I use something similar and simpler but not as much functionality.

I have a resistor between the throttle and controller input which I can then bypass with a switch. This effectively gives me high/low speed options. I also have a "cruise" switch which works with the speed switch. What I don't have currently is a brake cut-off. I was going to do this with brake input to the controller but your (and Cytronex) idea would be better.

BGElect

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2008
Thanks John, simple sounds good I'll try something with switches and resistors first..