tyre advice needed

alsmith

Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2008
Northumberland
I'm considering changing the standard tyres on my powabyke X6 from the supplied Raleigh 28 x 1(5/8) x 1(3/8) to something a bit better. They have what seems a quite high pressure recommended - 75psi from memory. I'm assuming almost any of the brand tyres wiil be an improvement?
Puncture resistant would be nice, as would more comfort. trying to work out tyre sizes in that weird sizes system I think 28 x 1.5 or 700 x 40C is the next size up that will fit- can anyone confirm please?
Main use will be road/cycle track and the bike will be used all year round (or I'll starve).
I've not got loads of money so would like a decent value for money option: any thoughts/advice?
Continental Tour Ride 28 x 1.5 says puncture resistant but no kevlar, chunky looking tread for winter, and good price.
Maxxis overdrive says kevlar, all weather, and trekking so should be tough,
Schwalbe Land Cruiser - seem a good price. And lots of others

Thanks for any advice- I'm trying web searches but practical advice welcomed.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
You'd be better off buying with ISO sizes, this is a good explanation:
Tyre sizes
Chunky treads offer better puncture protection than kevlar lining, I don't like the ride on chunky treads so only use them in winter on snow tyres. Thick tread will obviously last longer as well but not knobblies.
The Marathon plus tyres seem to be a firm favourite on here for longevity, roll resistance and puncture proofing.
Higher pressure will give you less rolling resistance and more puncture protection.

Rad

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2008
After 4 punctures in one month I fitted Marathon Plus front and rear. The size I went for was 700 x 35c. I found a supplier on e-bay selling them on Buy it Now for around £20.00 which is a very good price. I'll try and find their link and post it up for you Al. You'll still need to inflate to 65-70 psi though.

Andy Grayland

Pedelecer
Apr 9, 2008
The Marathon pus is the most puncture resistant tire we have found. It comes in 3 differnet types. Marathon plus for road use. Marathon plus tour for mixed use and Marathon plus ATB for heavier off road. http://www.OnBike.co.uk

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
The Marathon pus is the most puncture resistant tire we have found. It comes in 3 differnet types. Marathon plus for road use. Marathon plus tour for mixed use and Marathon plus ATB for heavier off road. There are pictures of the different tread on our website. Go to accessories then Schwalbe tires.
Andy
[/quote]
Your sizes don't seem to match what Schwalbe says it produces. You have the ATB in 26x1.75 but Scwalbe only show 26x2.0. :confused:
I like the look of the Tour as it comes in 26x2.0 and is rated to 70PSI, do you sell this one as well. I'm not after tyres now as I have new big apples but frequent punctures mean I may be driven to Marathon Plus tyres soon.

For alsmith - They won't be much good in snow and ice. Scwalbe make Marathon Winter and Snow and Ice tyres for that, I had the cheaper Snow and Ice tyres this winter and whilst they worked well the supposedly invincible tungsten carbide studs wore down quickly. They were well worth the money in the ice as they prevented several accidents.