Tyre help Cube Acid Hybrid 29er

Medikamina

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 4, 2018
Hey guys, going mad with this so figured I’d pick the hive mind.

At suggestion of someone in a previous post, I’m looking to switch out the stock tyres (Tough Tom 2.25, Rapid Rob 2.25).

I use my e-bike mostly for road, commuting, occasionally on paths but I haven’t really been ‘off road’ with it.

I was looking to get some Big Apple/Big Ben plus’ but they seem impossible to find in the 2.35 size. That said, I can’t really find very much at all in that range! I’ve found a few at 2.15” (e.g. Marathon Almotion) but they’re pretty expensive and I’m not sure how much effect dropping the 0.1” would have/whether they’re compatible.

Anyway, any suggestions for tyres?

Medikamina

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 4, 2018
Hi, I did see these, but they’re the 2” variant which is a fair bit narrower? I’d read some other posts saying they’d recommend going as wide as possible. I would also wonder if the narrower 2” rim will fit my inner tube and rims?

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Hi, I did see these, but they’re the 2” variant which is a fair bit narrower? I’d read some other posts saying they’d recommend going as wide as possible. I would also wonder if the narrower 2” rim will fit my inner tube and rims?
2" is still huge and will fit. If it were me I'd go to 1.5" or less. Don't buy a tyre narrower than the width of your rim which I'm guessing is around 30 to 35mm wide? Look at the weight of the tyres when choosing.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
2" is still huge and will fit. If it were me I'd go to 1.5" or less. Don't buy a tyre narrower than the width of your rim which I'm guessing is around 30 to 35mm wide? Look at the weight of the tyres when choosing.
Artstu advice based on guess work can be confusing, 35mm rims ? The acid one has 700c rims with an inner width of 19mm. I do agree that 2” is still a big tyre.
Medi, , putting too small a tube in is risky but a larger tube will fit a smaller tyre.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Artstu advice based on guess work can be confusing, 35mm rims ? The acid one has 700c rims with an inner width of 19mm. I do agree that 2” is still a big tyre.
Medi, , putting too small a tube in is risky but a larger tube will fit a smaller tyre.
I agree, that is why I put the question mark, as in measure the actual external width, it was a wild guess on my part, have to say I'm amazed they fit such wide tyres to such narrow rims. Still happy with my advice on tyre sizing though.

Philip Copley

Pedelecer
Sep 21, 2018
I've got the big bens in the 2" variant and love them for touring round the peak district and done around 1000+ trouble free(read puncture free) miles on them. Like the quieter ride too, no buzz as you cycle, can't see the .1" making a difference, i put hans dampfs? on them at 2.35" over the 2.25 stock tyres for extra grip in winter and had no issues stemming from that like tire squirm. Plus if you go for the 2" version, you're probably more likely to be able to find mudguards that'll fit closer to protect from winter road spray. I have SKS Bluemells? and they protect against all but the wettest days :)