Tyre Help (very basic stuff, sorry)

Clavicle

Pedelecer
May 25, 2020
Hi folks.

Very basic question for you. I apologise if the beginner nature of this annoys you. Been a long time since I have ever had a bike.

I am looking to buying new inner tubes, and new tyres. I was told for measurements, to check the numbers on the side of my tyre. Could someone help me decrypt what this means, i have a rough idea, but I want to be sure. Here's what is written along the side of my tyres;

42-622 | 700 x 40c - 28 x 5/8

I am clueless.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
They equate to the same thing one is metric size and one is the equivalent imperial size. Tyres can be listed in different terms so when you buy a tyre look for any one of these listings.
622 is the outer rim size, 700 is the outer tyre size approx. and 28" is the outer tyre size , 42 or 40c is the tyre width in mm. Within a mm or two they are much the same size and can be +/- this.
622 is ISO standard, 700c is a French metric standard and 28" is a Yank measurement.
Generally the metric size like 700c x 40c listing will have the 622 x 40 size bracketed in the description.

This will help understand.

When looking for tubes look for 700c with a 32c -42c listing on them so they fit better, if you buy a tube with 28c - 35c on them then when pumped up to fill the inner tyre size they will be stretched and be thinner and more prone to puncturing.

Clavicle

Pedelecer
May 25, 2020
They equate to the same thing one is metric size and one is the equivalent imperial size. Tyres can be listed in different terms so when you buy a tyre look for any one of these listings.
622 is the outer rim size, 700 is the outer tyre size approx. and 28" is the outer tyre size , 42 or 40c is the tyre width in mm. Within a mm or two they are much the same size and can be +/- this.
622 is ISO standard, 700c is a French metric standard and 28" is a Yank measurement.
Generally the metric size like 700c x 40c listing will have the 622 x 40 size bracketed in the description.

This will help understand.

When looking for tubes look for 700c with a 32c -42c listing on them so they fit better, if you buy a tube with 28c - 35c on them then when pumped up to fill the inner tyre size they will be stretched and be thinner and more prone to puncturing.

Thanks very much, very useful for me to know. Appreciated.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Most people would refer to those as 700c tyres and tubes. you can use any tyre with a width from about 25mm to 50mm. The tubes need to be the right diameter to match the tyre. Though you don't need to be exact. Obviously a tube for a 50mm/2" tyre would be too big to fit in a 25mm/1" tyre and a 1" tube is going to have to stretch a lot further in a 2" tyre, but would probably work. Normally, in the shop they might have 2 or three sizes of 700C tubes, so just choose the nearest one to what tyre width tyre you choose.

Thin (25mm) tyres seem to be more efficient and are lighter. Wide tyres have more resistance and are heavier, but more comfort and grip.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Presta can be used with a Schrader valve hole as the Presta comes with a stepped adapter to suit the hole.

Atlav4

Pedelecer
Feb 16, 2020
hi let us know the general terrain on which you normally ride. Members may provide recommendations on tyres suitable for your requirements.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I'd suggest Schwalbe Marathon Plus. Not the lightest or easiest rolling, but very very good against punctures, which is particularly important commuting. Often offers on them at Halfords or SJS.

Samcycles

Pedelecer
Apr 26, 2020
Northern Ireland
Just commuting, roads etc. Nothing off-road.
Hi Clavicle

I've used various tyres on my non electric hybrid over the last 22 years but I've never had a puncture since I started using the Schwalbe Marathon plus. That could of course just be luck but I wasn't that lucky before I started using them. My new ebike has them fitted as standard.
That said I still keep a spare tube and puncture kit in my saddle wedge just in case.

Atlav4

Pedelecer
Feb 16, 2020
Another tick for marathon plus ,did run Kenda komforts 48c once slimmed had no problems with these and proved very smooth.