Tyre sizes

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
I am hoping that I can get an answer to what I should have thought would be a fairly simple problem, but my bike's suppliers (The Electric Transport Shop) appear unable to get to grips with it.

The specification of my bike, a Green Edge Blackstar, states that the tyre size is 20x1.95. When I ordered the bike, I asked TETS to fit Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres, but they mistakenly fitted plain Marathon ones. These are labelled as being 40-406 / 20x1.50, and appear to fit perfectly.

TETS, although originally agreeing to replace the wrongly fitted tyres, have dragged their feet for about three months, and now say that the nearest Marathon Plus size is 20x1.75. I should have thought that these would fit, and asked TETS to get a pair of those if they too thought them suitable.

That was nine days ago, and they have not replied yet, so I thought I would try and get some help here. Is the wheel rim size the same as the tyre size, or, as I assume, can one have a range of different tyre widths for a given rim?
And should the 20x1.75 Marathon Plus tyres fit my wheels, as I would suppose?

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, the 20 x 1.75 MP tyres will fit ok, I have a pair of these on my 20" wheel Q bike.