Tyre troubles

brit151

Pedelecer
Jul 19, 2015
Can anyone let me know what’s gone wrong here? The inner tube seems to be bursting out the tyre which is tearing In a crisscross pattern. Only back tyre seems to be effected. Put a little bit of air in them both a few days ago but didn’t think I’d put much in as I like them not too Hard

Inner tubes I use:

Slime Self-Sealing Inner Tube - 27.5 x 1.90-2.125 - Presta Valve

Attachments

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
D

Deleted member 22539

It’s definitely an odd one
I would put it down to a bad tyre and move on
Allthou if your running road only maybe go for more of a street tyre next time

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
That can't be right! Those tyres are made in Germany, not in Indonesia!

<sorry! it is sort of a running joke (bad joke) of mine from another thread on tyre "failure">

D

Deleted member 4366

My continental tyres went like that at a very low mileage. Some of their tyres are not suitable for electric bikes and are barely suitable for non-electric ones. You need to get tyres that are specially for electric bikes. Schwalbe make a few. I'm not sure about the other brands.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
A bit low especially for street riding maybe the side walls have been twisting to much
Just a thought
I'm no expert, but I'd agree with that. Continental say a recommended pressure of 50psi (maximum 65psi) for X-King 2.2's. I'd say a low pressure of just 20psi is going to distort that sidewall to the point of failure.

Your rolling resistance will be unnecessarily high too - eating into the range you'll get from your battery seeing as you're using your bike for commuting.

If you're deliberately keeping your tyres soft just for comfort, you maybe need to consider suspension on the bike or seat-post instead?

X-King 2-2 tyre spec: www.conti-tyres.co.uk/mtb/x-king-2-2

rower

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2018
Berks and Bucks
You definitely want to invest in some e-bike specific tyres bud. Since changing to Schwalbe Marathon Energizer (https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/tour-reviews/schwalbe-energizer-plus-2015) in late January I've not had any tyre drama. I run mine at 4 bar (58 psi if you use new money) which seems to be the sweet spot between efficiency and puncture prevention. The inner tube shouldn't make any odds really - though I prefer schrader valves as then I don't have to faff around converting my track pump when adjusting the pressure on the car wheels or whatever else.

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
20 psi ,is way too low, what is happening is that the low pressure is allowing the tyre to creep and ''shuffle' around the rim.

If you took a piece of stiff wire ,twisted in your fingers up and down it will heat up and break, this is effectively what's happened with your tyre, more so ,since it's the back one.

• Agree
Reactions: mike killay

brit151

Pedelecer
Jul 19, 2015
Thanks everyone I ended up ordering the same tyre so they still match but will increase the psi so hopefully this won’t happen again. If it does then I’ll look at those ebike specific ones. Didn’t realise those existed ‍♂

D

Deleted member 22539

Thanks everyone I ended up ordering the same tyre so they still match but will increase the psi so hopefully this won’t happen again. If it does then I’ll look at those ebike specific ones. Didn’t realise those existed ‍♂
Happy to help
And throw some light on the potential issue
Happy peddling

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
Worked in a bike shop for years and that looks like typical overload and/or under inflation damage - 20PSI on a loaded rear tyre is *way* too low, even my ultra lightweight 11 year old daughter runs higher tyres pressures. If it was pot hole or fitting damage it wouldn't all the way round like that. If it was heat build up in the rims it wouldn't be so far on to the sidewalls (though you look to have discs)