Tyres-"ECE-R75".....a con??

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
This sounds like a big con to me....as E-bikes get more popular there will be a rise in "e-bike" specific parts/accessories...here's Maxxis and tyres:

"
E-Bike Ready 50:
All Maxxis tyres can be used on pedelecs/E-bikes with speeds up to 25 km/h. Fast pedelecs that reach speeds of up to 45 km/h must be equipped with tyres which are manufactured according to the ECE-R75 norm and which are marked accordingly. Maxxis models with the E-bike logo fulfil and surpass the requirements of tyres for fast E-bikes and the ECE-R75 norm. "

Now my E-bike doesn't stop at 25km/h, yesterday I did 52km/h on a fire road descent on the way home. And a "speed pedelec" or dongled uk bike just gets continuous assistance it doesn't probably have any more power to shred a tyre through acceleration...

SO- my E-bike is 7kg heavier than a conventional bike, so what difference does that make to me? None whatsoever, it's not going to change the downhill factor one bit- I could be 60kg or 120kg and a conventional tyre will deal with it....

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it is ******* at the end of the day just look at the speed of a pro dh rider they dont get flats they blow the tyres of the rim as want low psi for grip or the wheel fails.

some tyres are just thin crap tho but you can get inserts go tubeless or run a pro core system but bit expensive and imo major pita to install esp with a dh casing.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

skip to 3mins pmsl

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
This sounds like a big con to me....as E-bikes get more popular there will be a rise in "e-bike" specific parts/accessories...here's Maxxis and tyres:

"
E-Bike Ready 50:
All Maxxis tyres can be used on pedelecs/E-bikes with speeds up to 25 km/h. Fast pedelecs that reach speeds of up to 45 km/h must be equipped with tyres which are manufactured according to the ECE-R75 norm and which are marked accordingly. Maxxis models with the E-bike logo fulfil and surpass the requirements of tyres for fast E-bikes and the ECE-R75 norm. "

Now my E-bike doesn't stop at 25km/h, yesterday I did 52km/h on a fire road descent on the way home. And a "speed pedelec" or dongled uk bike just gets continuous assistance it doesn't probably have any more power to shred a tyre through acceleration...

SO- my E-bike is 7kg heavier than a conventional bike, so what difference does that make to me? None whatsoever, it's not going to change the downhill factor one bit- I could be 60kg or 120kg and a conventional tyre will deal with it....
It means they have been tested so that they can be put on a moped where everything to do with security has to be approved, ordinary bike tyres don't have to be tested.