Tyres

Bolt

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 15, 2017
Norfolk
Morning all

I'm using my Cannondale Quick 5 with an Oxydrive rear wheel conversion for short
commuting and 4 punctures in 10 days on the stock Kenda tyres is enough, any
recommendations for something more resistant ?.I don't do any off road riding
just the lovely bumpy roads of Norfolk, the tyre size is 700C x 32.

Thanks
Gaz

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
Schwalbe marathon plus tyre & joes no flats perfect commuting i have only had one puncture in 2000 miles

When i did have a flat pumped up and back on the road

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
Can you add the no flats slime to a normal tube already on the wheel?

With my past experience slime hasn't worked for me at all blocked the valve
and had to change the tube all together so that why i never bother with it anymore

i have joe no flats to be the correct stuff to be using and seals straight away with no problems at all.

Bolt

Jan 15, 2017
Norfolk
I must admit I have had a similar experience with slim type products
but I think some Shwalbe's are on the cards.

Reactions: Mac_user82

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
I must admit I have had a similar experience with slim type products
but I think some Shwalbe's are on the cards.

put some joes no flats in too i should of thought you would be fine with that

Doesn't matter what tyre you are going to buy or the price but their is a sure fact on some journey some day you are going to get a flat tyre at some point

i have had flats of Schwalbe marathon tyres they are not the lifesaver at all so don't expect them to
be perfect because they are not but they do help

At the end of the day when it bad weather or it close to be being dark you don't really want to be fixing a flat on the bike it would be a lot more easier for you to pump up and get back on the road instead of taken the tube out and finding out where the problem could be

For me i have to do it this way because i have to get to appointments and just pumping up a tyre is a lot faster then messing with the tube

if i get a massive blow out their is nothing i can do but i would like think most of the time the sealant would save me because i have good tyres on my bike

Last edited:
Reactions: Danidl

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
I am not an ebike rider just yet, but like to get out on my regular pedal bike as often as I can, mostly tarmac trails and canal towpaths etc, and just a bit of road to get to and from the rides.

Been using 26" x 1.3" Verdestien "S" Licks, they have very little in the way of puncture protection, so added the Kevlar Tape (Panasonic Panaracer Flataway) which has kept me puncture free for many years.

Also in the past I have used "Slime Tube Protector" which is also an insert-able, but made of plastic and about half the price of the Kevlar Tape, but did just the same job.

Anyway a brand new pair of Continental 26" x 1.6" Sport Contacts Mk2 came my way at 75p each, and as my Verdestiens were starting to show there age, it seemed rude not to buy the Conti's.

The Conti's promised some kind of puncture protection, so I did not bother with the Kevlar Tape, only got 40 miles, before my rear tyre took a flat from a shard of glass, lesson learned.

Anyway I have just ordered a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Plus (road tread) 26" x 1.5" not cheap at £24 each including delivery, but they will save me from faffing around with Kevlar Tape etc, and hopefully prove better than the Cont's.

Last edited:

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
4 punctures in 10 days on the stock Kenda tyres
My Cannondale had/have the wafer thin Kenda tyres too and after a few punctures in the rear tyre I changed it to a Schwalbe marathon plus 700cx35. 15'000 road miles later I've had zero punctures.
I kept the Kenda on the front as it's quite a grippy tyre with slime in the tube and after about 13'000 miles got 1 puncture where the slime didn't work, but since the tyre was well shot anyway and the tube had several slime repaired holes in it, I renewed the tube&slime and put my original Kenda off the rear on the front, which is still going (just).

Reactions: Bolt

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
I have stock kenda tyres on my oxygen emtb. I got two punctures front and back second time at our local woods. Put half a bottle of slime I'm each. Span the heels pumped up. And 3 months later still no more flats. Dread to think what the tubes must look like. So impressed I bought more slime. Have now done the lads Mtb and bmx.

Reactions: IR772

Bolt

Jan 15, 2017
Norfolk
Wow, I would just like to thank everyone for their contributions,
there's certainly some good ideas.
It's much the same as awol all the puntures in the rear, a new tyre
some slim and less chocolate bars maybe :rolleyes:

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Wow, I would just like to thank everyone for their contributions,
there's certainly some good ideas.
It's much the same as awol all the puntures in the rear, a new tyre
some slim and less chocolate bars maybe :rolleyes:
... No no don't put chocolate bars in the tube,. I chickened out of putting slime in my tubes and bought the preslimed ones in Halfords.marginally more expensive . I am proud to say I have never chickened out of buying chocolate bars.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I am not an ebike rider just yet, but like to get out on my regular pedal bike as often as I can, mostly tarmac trails and canal towpaths etc, and just a bit of road to get to and from the rides.

Been using 26" x 1.3" Verdestien "S" Licks, they have very little in the way of puncture protection, so added the Kevlar Tape (Panasonic Panaracer Flataway) which has kept me puncture free for many years.

Also in the past I have used "Slime Tube Protector" which is also an insert-able, but made of plastic and about half the price of the Kevlar Tape, but did just the same job.

Anyway a brand new pair of Continental 26" x 1.6" Sport Contacts Mk2 came my way at 75p each, and as my Verdestiens were starting to show there age, it seemed rude not to buy the Conti's.

The Conti's promised some kind of puncture protection, so I did not bother with the Kevlar Tape, only got 40 miles, before my rear tyre took a flat from a shard of glass, lesson learned.

Anyway I have just ordered a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Plus (road tread) 26" x 1.5" not cheap at £24 each including delivery, but they will save me from faffing around with Kevlar Tape etc, and hopefully prove better than the Cont's.
30+ years ago when I was a proper cyclist travelling 14 miles urban each day. I found that if I put good tyres on the bike I would start to get a puncture after about 1 year. If I just fixed the puncture, they would become a regular occurrence. If I replaced the tyre, I would get another year trouble free.

Bolt

Jan 15, 2017
Norfolk
Those pre slimed tubes sound like a good idea, every time I mend
a puncture I just think next time I'll sort it but I just keep riding
till I get another.
I'll get her sorted over the Easter break.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Those pre slimed tubes sound like a good idea, every time I mend
a puncture I just think next time I'll sort it but I just keep riding
till I get another.
I'll get her sorted over the Easter break.
My last new bike suffered a flat on the first propper ride so fitted some no flats and now at 800 miles no flats. Does what it says on the tin.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I used 'no Joes' in tubes and it was crap, 2 punctures and both tyres flat.

2Lazy

Pedelecer
Jul 17, 2013
Milton Keynes
+1 for Schwalbe Marathon Tour Plus tyres. 1500 miles and only one puncture and even that was very bad luck - I ran over a huge industrial staple which skewered the tyre and tube.

The Marathon Tour Plus is a pretty bullet proof tyre but just make sure you get genuine ones. Lots of cheap fakes about, apparently some of the fakes can be spotted by trying to rub off the white logo on the sidewall, if the logo rubs off it's a fake. Best to buy from somewhere reputable - Tredz, Wiggle etc., or possibly a good local bike shop but even there be careful, my preference would be to buy from a big online store.

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
Do
put some joes no flats in too i should of thought you would be fine with that

Doesn't matter what tyre you are going to buy or the price but their is a sure fact on some journey some day you are going to get a flat tyre at some point

i have had flats of Schwalbe marathon tyres they are not the lifesaver at all so don't expect them to
be perfect because they are not but they do help

At the end of the day when it bad weather or it close to be being dark you don't really want to be fixing a flat on the bike it would be a lot more easier for you to pump up and get back on the road instead of taken the tube out and finding out where the problem could be

For me i have to do it this way because i have to get to appointments and just pumping up a tyre is a lot faster then messing with the tube

if i get a massive blow out their is nothing i can do but i would like think most of the time the sealant would save me because i have good tyres on my bike
Mac_use82,
Do you put Joes No Flats in the tubes or are you running tubeless?