[UK]Help needed buiding an Etek motorized Bicycle

Alex Inkerman

Just Joined
Sep 28, 2009
Dear forum members,

I have wanted to build an Etek-powered bicycle for quite a while and need your help.
I would like to find out what gearing is needed to complete such a project.
I'd like to know if I can buy an Etek commercially, where's the best place to look for one, and which company I would also like to know if it is best to choose a belt-drive or a chain drive system

what would be the grand total (cheapest) for a bike conversion

thanks in advance

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't know a UK outlet for the Etek motor which I believe is the Mars ME201013001 brushless DC pancake motor, but if this is the one you are thinking of, is this really a serious proposition for UK use on a bike?:

Etek motor

It's probably only obtainable from the USA where it seems to be most used.

Alex Inkerman

Just Joined
Sep 28, 2009
so what are my options here in the UK then? what are the mainstreamers? thank you for the quick reply and my thanks in advance :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
For powerful motors there's little choice Alex, most motors/kits paying homage to the legal restrictions, The Suzhou Bafang internally gearedwheelhub motors are amenable to using higher voltage batteries and controllers for high outputs, and so are the Direct drive Crystalyte wheelhub motors which are capable of very high performance. One of the latter won all competition classes at the Presteigne rally earlier this year, ridden by it's forum member creator Tiberius. The Canadian BionX hub motor comes in three versions, EU 250 watt, normal 350 watt and high performance 500 watt, but have to be imported, and the same is true of the others mentioned, often from the USA though the Bafang motors can be bought from Germany.

These posts will be of interest:

Mass kit test (click on the magazine link to read the article)

The Presteigne-winning bike thread

Bafang kit availability in the UK

That's about as much as I can tell you of this subject since it's not one of my activity areas, but members Tiberius, Danielweck and others may be able to help further.

Alex Inkerman

Just Joined
Sep 28, 2009
Etek motors, that's just what I need for a chaindrive system. this is gonna be so cool:D
Etek 24 48V DC 15HP 8000W Electric Bike Scooter Motor on eBay (end time 10-Oct-09 11:09:32 BST)

For powerful motors there's little choice Alex, most motors/kits paying homage to the legal restrictions, The Suzhou Bafang internally gearedwheelhub motors are amenable to using higher voltage batteries and controllers for high outputs, and so are the Direct drive Crystalyte wheelhub motors which are capable of very high performance. One of the latter won all competition classes at the Presteigne rally earlier this year, ridden by it's forum member creator Tiberius. The Canadian BionX hub motor comes in three versions, EU 250 watt, normal 350 watt and high performance 500 watt, but have to be imported, and the same is true of the others mentioned, often from the USA though the Bafang motors can be bought from Germany.

These posts will be of interest:

Mass kit test (click on the magazine link to read the article)

The Presteigne-winning bike thread

Bafang kit availability in the UK

That's about as much as I can tell you of this subject since it's not one of my activity areas, but members Tiberius, Danielweck and others may be able to help further.