UK - legality of thumb-throttles in DIY conversions

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Ive been in a few car accidents in my life and insurances usually try anything to avoid paying.
That can be a concern for fully comprehensive insurance, but in terms of third party liability for injuries\damage the insurer is obliged to pay, even if the insured vehicle is 'illegal' or the driver is due to alchol, drugs or plain incompetance.

robert1976

Pedelecer
Aug 18, 2015
Impossible to say without knowing what you've got.
Impossible to say without knowing what you've got.
Some pics of bike and control panel.
It has only 3 buttons. One for on off.
One for + and also turns on front light if hold.
One for - and walk mode (which doesn't seem to do anything)
Cheers man. Your really helpful.

Attachments

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Some pics of bike and control panel.
It has only 3 buttons. One for on off.
One for + and also turns on front light if hold.
One for - and walk mode (which doesn't seem to do anything)
Cheers man. Your really helpful.
I can't see a throttle on that bike.
Instructions in this listing. P09 is throttle mode:

Last edited:

robert1976

Pedelecer
Aug 18, 2015
I can't see a throttle on that bike.
Instructions in this listing. P09 is throttle mode:
Fook me I need to have a degree to set that up. The throttle is on right hand side. On my regular bike it's grip shift. Like in pic.

Attachments

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Fook me I need to have a degree to set that up. The throttle is on right hand side. On my regular bike it's grip shift. Like in pic.
That's a gear shifter, not a throttle! It's the same as the one on the bike in the photor. I hope you didn't disconnect that, thinking that it was illegal.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It's not difficult. Press two buttons to get settings. press one button 9 times to get to P09. Set P09 to 1. Press one button to advanve to P10. Set P10 to 2. Press two buttons to exit. The whole thing takes about 10 seconds.

P08 is the speed limit and P02 changes the display from KM/h to mph. P14 gives you the chance to increase the power for better hill-climbing. Don't go higher than 18, which is 38% more power than what you presently have. P12 is how much kick you get from the motor at start up. You can turn it down a bit if you feel uncomfortable with the initial kick.

robert1976

Pedelecer
Aug 18, 2015
It's not difficult. Press two buttons to get settings. press one button 9 times to get to P09. Set P09 to 1. Press one button to advanve to P10. Set P10 to 2. Press two buttons to exit. The whole thing takes about 10 seconds.

P08 is the speed limit and P02 changes the display from KM/h to mph. P14 gives you the chance to increase the power for better hill-climbing. Don't go higher than 18, which is 38% more power than what you presently have. P12 is how much kick you get from the motor at start up. You can turn it down a bit if you feel uncomfortable with the initial kick.
I didn't know to press the 2 buttons till I did a video search. Remember this first time I've had one and no instructions. Even pic you sent me didn't tell me to press both buttons. :)