Ultimate bike camper?

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
I'd be concerned about the weight, which is the first limitation on range because of increased energy consumption, then aerodynamics which limits speed and so range, and then in that form, crosswind effect.

The idea is worth exploring, but my starting point would be the solar roof, then making the necessary structure of a solar trailer do most of the job of being the living space, and minimising additional burden. So my solution would not look anything like that. But hats off for trying!

• Agree
Reactions: WheezyRider

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
I'd be concerned about the weight, which is the first limitation on range because of increased energy consumption, then aerodynamics which limits speed and so range, and then in that form, crosswind effect.

The idea is worth exploring, but my starting point would be the solar roof, then making the necessary structure of a solar trailer do most of the job of being the living space, and minimising additional burden. So my solution would not look anything like that. But hats off for trying!
I like the idea of not being in a tent :D

Reactions: kangooroo

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Apparently home made cycle caravans are quite popular in Germany.
Expanding backwards on rails coffin/bivvy-like camper was an idea which sprang to mind a few months ago. That had legs too (on the end).

Lyme disease infected ticks are everywhere these days - military bioweapons unleashed on us all yet again ;)

Last edited:

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Conversely, I've really enjoyed getting back into a tent with the weight limitations of backpacking removed!

Just a few kilos of extra sleeping mats, clothes, sleeping bag make the difference to comfort, and allow proper food to be carried.

The luxury I miss is an armchair, and a few extra cm of height in my 1.8kg tent.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
...and the design fail in the otr product is that it 'folds' to reduce length, whereas width and height are both more important when being towed.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
...and the design fail in the otr product is that it 'folds' to reduce length, whereas width and height are both more important when being towed.
An expanding coffin/bivvy-like shape is more aero, lower cofg. It can be as wide as the trailer you use now, with the same area available for solar panels, and more area when expanded.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Conversely, I've really enjoyed getting back into a tent with the weight limitations of backpacking removed!

Just a few kilos of extra sleeping mats, clothes, sleeping bag make the difference to comfort, and allow proper food to be carried.

The luxury I miss is an armchair, and a few extra cm of height in my 1.8kg tent.
What I dislike about tents is trying to put one up in the wind and rain and then trying to pack it away all wet in the morning...then at the next site you have to put up a wet tent...rinse repeat...and after a while things start to get very muddy and mouldy. Then when you get home you've got to clean it all and try and dry it. Also, I can never seem to keep warm in a tent, even in relatively mild weather.

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
WR, how unfortunate, my memories are so very different but probably coloured by the passing of now sixty years; the best camping experiences of our lives, youth, girlfriend, bikes and tent, an idyllic combination.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
To tow such a trailer one needs considerably more than 250W which would make bike illegal on UK roads.
Imagine pushing such a contraption up steep hill.

Tent is a way to go.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
To tow such a trailer one needs considerably more than 250W which would make bike illegal on UK roads.
Imagine pushing such a contraption up steep hill.

Tent is a way to go.

For my 250W BBS01B converted folding Dahon Helios P8 20" wheeled folding bike, towing about 90kg up steep hills is doable. And that's when the controller was limited to 15A, and with 52T>32T gearing. That being said, I wouldn't want to tow a bike caravan weighing more than about 66kg in total (with gear), as things get hairy towing high weights.

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/heaviest-haul-with-the-homcom-trailer-so-far.43921/

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A bit unstable all but on most flat roads, even on the brief bit of grass the girl cycled on one could see the instability. A good mobile Glam camping effort but the design is too high.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
A bit unstable all but on most flat roads, even on the brief bit of grass the girl cycled on one could see the instability. A good mobile Glam camping effort but the design is too high.
That thing'd topple over, then be dragged along with the bike and rider across the road by a Welsh valley's wind tunnel.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
It must be high, otherwise you would look like you tow your own coffin.
I think the way to go would be to have it longer, but lower and have the roof raise up when needed.

The guy in the video has made a good effort, but it is way too heavy. The large steel frame is total overkill. Plus, put the battery on the bottom to reduce CofG, not high up at the back. It's not clear how much of the weight is just the battery, probably about 15kg. There is no battery on the bike, so this could be made smaller on the trailer.

I think it should be possible to make something much more practical. I've towed over 50kg on my 250W motor without problems, so I don't think power is too much of an issue so long as you keep to around 50kg max all up weight.