UM 10 pedal axle

jeffrey gill

Just Joined
Dec 8, 2020
Hi, My son has an Urban Mover UM10 which has a bent pedal axle. We have contacted the bike shop where he bought the bike but he stated he is not interested in looking at the bike because he is too busy assembling new bikes. I was intending to repair it myself but it appears a special spanner is required to get the internal collar undone because it has what appears to be internal cerations that I can't seen to undo using a punch and hammer. Any assistance would be appreciated on how to get the axle out and to purchase a new one. Thanks, Jeff Gill

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Hi, could you send a picture, this will help people to try and solve your problem.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
These are the tools you need. One extracts the pedal arm, the other removes the bottom bracket assembly. The bottom bracket has a left hand thread on the right side so you undo in the clockwise direction. You often need to use a lot of force to get it started.

Audio2

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2015
This is the bottom bracket axle not the pedal axle. I can understand how a pedal axle can be bent but not a bottom bracket axle. Most pedal unscrew using a conventional spanner or a Allen key. Again left hand thread on the right side.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
This is the bottom bracket axle not the pedal axle. I can understand how a pedal axle can be bent but not a bottom bracket axle. Most pedal unscrew using a conventional spanner or a Allen key. Again left hand thread on the right side.
???????????
The pedal axle is the bottom bracket axle!

Audio2

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2015
Pedals have axles as do bottom brackets. I can see that his son could easily damage the axle in the pedal, but it would have to be a major accident to damage the bottom bracket.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Unusual to bend a Bottom Bracket so it is possible the bearings have had it and possibly have broken up, the tools vrf linked to are the ones to buy. Once the BB has been removed a new unit can be bought for about £10's.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Pedals have axles as do bottom brackets. I can see that his son could easily damage the axle in the pedal, but it would have to be a major accident to damage the bottom bracket.
An axle has to have a wheel rotating around it. Can you call a pedal, the bit you put your foot on, a wheel? I'd refer to that as a spindle or shaft.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
To me it's a pedal shaft.