Unavoidable Bicycle Badger Collision

I893469365902345609348566

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
Until recently when I retired I rode to work cross country and 10 miles home on the road late at night on my hard tail Yamaha Haibike.

I now realise that I was lucky not to collide with a badger.

I had a few near misses.

From my experience they shoot out from the side of the road and run straight across with no regard to whatever is coming.

A guy from another depot at work hit one and was off work for several weeks.
Do you know what injuries he sustained? Several weeks off... must have been bad.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I did not know him too well and not long into working for the company he managed to get himself sacked. Those who worked in the same depot said that he was not adverse pulling a sick day. I heard about the badger incident from people in the depot that thought it was probably an excuse for taking time off which judging by your experience might not have been the case.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Mine arrived today. Now I'm (literally) sorely tempted to risk unsettling my wrist by dragging my bike up stairs to install it. 20W should be pretty bright. 1800LM? We shall see. I'll restrain myself for a time.

View attachment 45075

A couple of these might help run the battery down, when needed.
you get what you pay for a led that can put out that much lm will cost way more than that light on its own.

also the power draw wont be very much either as the output will be more like 180lm.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
you get what you pay for a led that can put out that much lm will cost way more than that light on its own.

also the power draw wont be very much either as the output will be more like 180lm.

When mine eventually is delivered by a soggy Chinese chap who has hitchhiked across Asia and Europe and swum the channel (why else would it take so long?), I'll compare it with other lights, using the Luxmeter app on my phone.

Sep 13, 2020
Fortunately never collided with an animal of any sort, but a few months back I had to cycle round a cat which was sprawled out asleep, I think, on a cycle path not far from me. Slowed down in case it made a sudden move, but it stayed glued to the spot. When I stopped and looked back a few seconds later I just saw it disappearing into someone's adjacent back garden. Broad daylight, so no danger of not seeing it.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
it's a bit clearer in black and white

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
I did not know him too well and not long into working for the company he managed to get himself sacked. Those who worked in the same depot said that he was not adverse pulling a sick day. I heard about the badger incident from people in the depot that thought it was probably an excuse for taking time off which judging by your experience might not have been the case.
Truth is sometimes stranger than fiction. I should try and contact the gentleman you mentioned, to start a support group called "Badgered Anonymous" or something.

Last edited:

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
Perhaps a badger deflection scoop could provide the answer
View attachment 45104
That could work! If the pole holding the scoop was much longer, and had an integral shock absorber: Both cyclist and wildlife would be then protected by a slow deceleration, gently pushing the badger safely away into the woods, at the end of the movement.

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
You need someone walking ahead of you at a max of 4mph waving a red flag.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
You need someone walking ahead of you at a max of 4mph waving a red flag.
In that situation, the flag waver would be well adsised to wear kevlar trousers. I'm looking to wire to the ebike battery an ultrasonic deterrent, if I can find a waterproof version:

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
Ouch a painful and horrible injury, I broke my ulna a dozen years ago and was in plaster for over 10 weeks. Recovery will be longwinded so wish you well.

On another note what happened to Bertie was he /she injured ?
How did you break your ulna, and how long before you restarted cycling? My left wrist is still very swollen, I've been told it'll be awhile... but I'm dying to go for a ride!

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
Hoping this is sufficient to warn other cylists:

Reactions: guerney

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The Ulna break was a work accident in the building trade some 14 years or so ago, the break was misaligned and a bit more then about 50% but the doctors decided not to operate as the blood supply and nerves run through the area and they said infection was possibly another issue to contend with so I my arm was placed in a caste. I didn't cycle until some time after it came off but was comfortable using the arm as a lift support whilst carrying out my beekeeping, also I was naughty as I drove one handed. I broke my right strong arm and as I was also right handed meant I wasn't able to do a lot of stuff.
The arm is repaired and strong again but I do have a bit of lump in the located where the bone has fused and grown around the break.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
The Ulna break was a work accident in the building trade some 14 years or so ago, the break was misaligned and a bit more then about 50% but the doctors decided not to operate as the blood supply and nerves run through the area and they said infection was possibly another issue to contend with so I my arm was placed in a caste. I didn't cycle until some time after it came off but was comfortable using the arm as a lift support whilst carrying out my beekeeping, also I was naughty as I drove one handed. I broke my right strong arm and as I was also right handed meant I wasn't able to do a lot of stuff.
The arm is repaired and strong again but I do have a bit of lump in the located where the bone has fused and grown around the break.
10 weeks is a long time in a cast! I wanted to tear the thing off after just 5. I think if they reinforce with metal, it might take less time to heal. Theoretically, that wrist should be stronger than the other, everyone I've spoken to who have had broken wrists say it's stronger after the break, but quite how they ascertain this, I don't know,

Last edited:

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
One armed cycling is tempting, but I'd likely fall off! Think I'd be in agony holding on with my left wrist, tendons are sharply painful doing anything as is. Swelling, applying frozen peas, ibuorofen gel and pills. This wrist will heal to superhuman levels of strength I'm sure. Had a phone session with a physio (omicron fears keeps me out of hospital), think he was frustrated at not being able to see my wrist lol. Not terribly useful, as he didn't supply any more information than was provided on the leaflet I got when they removed the cast.

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
One armed cycling is tempting, but I'd likely fall off! Think I'd be in agony holding on with my left wrist, tendons are sharply painful doing anything as is. Swelling, applying frozen peas, ibuorofen gel and pills. This wrist will heal to superhuman levels of strength I'm sure. Had a phone session with a physio (omicron fears keeps me out of hospital), think he was frustrated at not being able to see my wrist lol. Not terribly useful, as he didn't supply any more information than was provided on the leaflet I got when they removed the cast.
My go to unction, as well as ibrufen jelly, comfrey ointment, comfrey aka knitbone, has been used on strains and sprains for years. A comfrey poultice is good but not as convenient.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
How did your ulna break exactly? Did you sue for damages? I'd sue if the badger had any money (and was alive, which is unknown). Do you have any sign of artritis in that wrist? That's the big worry for me, but I believe it depends on the break itself, how it heals, and may be more likely if metal implants are used. The Consultant said it's more or less a certainty with my particular injury.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
My go to unction, as well as ibrufen jelly, comfrey ointment, comfrey aka knitbone, has been used on strains and sprains for years. A comfrey poultice is good but not as convenient.
Thanks, I might try that. There's lots of comfrey growing around here.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
Now my wrist is makes clicking sounds as it rotates 45 degrees, clicks again when I rotate back. Not sure what to do, it's been 8 weeks and bone must have healed too much by now for any easy surgical adjustment. Maybe it's a screw slightly sticking out into a bone or something, or maybe an inflamed ligament? Seeing the physio next week. Avoid breaking your wrist!

Last edited: