Unavoidable Bicycle Badger Collision

I893469365902345609348566

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
Hot wax treatment was NHS in the Hosp, a vat of beeswax and the whole lower arm (elbow to finger tips) placed in said vat.
I did have another bit of damage I forgot about, the xray showed up a shard of bone was also chipped off the elbow at the time. Nothing was done so somewhere it is still there.
I asked, but my physio had never heard of hot beeswax treatment. You must have attended a better hospital. He's a young un, I get the impresssion he's just started on the YTS or something.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Hot wax treatment was NHS in the Hosp, a vat of beeswax and the whole lower arm (elbow to finger tips) placed in said vat.
Couldn't you just do this at home with a basin of hot water ? Far cheaper, the water is pretty much free.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
Couldn't you just do this at home with a basin of hot water ? Far cheaper, the water is pretty much free.
The specific heat capacity of beeswax is much higher than water. Beeswax is non-toxic... I suppose I could try melted cheese? Pre-stretching, I've recently started heating my wrist in between two hot water bottles, which make my wrist feel great and stay warm for longer. There's still time before it all chronically "Sets", and less gain in freedom of movement is possible. The physio did suggest using a basin of hot water and I'll be trying that next. He also suggested I use a lot more force... no intense pain no gain. He's also directed me to strengthen the muscles using very light weights. I'm determined to get it moving.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
Cycling is agony and I can't play my guitar, but doing both at the same time was impossible anyway. BEWARE OF BADGERS!

oggie

Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2017
chester
The specific heat capacity of beeswax is much higher than water. Beeswax is non-toxic... I suppose I could try melted cheese? Pre-stretching, I've recently started heating my wrist in between two hot water bottles, which make my wrist feel great and stay warm for longer. There's still time before it all chronically "Sets", and less gain in freedom of movement is possible. The physio did suggest using a basin of hot water and I'll be trying that next. He also suggested I use a lot more force... no intense pain no gain. He's also directed me to strengthen the muscles using very light weights. I'm determined to get it moving.
Boots the chemist sell a hot wax bath with paraffin wax. Similar to nhs hospital treatment, you dip your hand/wrist in a few times then wrap in a towel for half an hour. Peel the wax off and place back in the bath.
Excellent piece of kit about £30 when I purchased mine for similar Injuries

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Cycling is agony and I can't play my guitar, but doing both at the same time was impossible anyway. BEWARE OF BADGERS!
Now, if you had been playing your guitar on your bike I'm sure that would have frightened the badger off and avoided the accident.

So when you are better (soon I hope), start practising.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Ultrasonic repellents work with badgers.
So all you need is a light that when it flashes, emits an ultrasonic intermittent noise to scare Mr Badger away.
Unless you've experience in wiring in electronics, the help of an expert may be required. Perhaps Nealh or one of the other gurus could offer their services.

Of course now its a case of slamming the burrow door after the badger had bolted, but it might in the future stop it from happening again.
Also works for foxes, cats, dogs and even raccoons. Though the chances of Raccoons being abroad late in the evening are slim, you will be protected none the less :cool:

Last edited:

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
Ultrasonic repellents work with badgers.
So all you need is a light that when it flashes, emits an ultrasonic intermittent noise to scare Mr Badger away.
Unless you've experience in wiring in electronics, the help of an expert may be required. Perhaps Nealh or one of the other gurus could offer their services.

Of course now its a case of slamming the burrow door after the badger had bolted, but it might in the future stop it from happening again.
Also works for foxes, cats, dogs and even raccoons. Though the chances of Raccoons being abroad late in the evening are slim, you will be protected none the less :cool:
Yes! I've been wanting to wire one of those to my bike ever since my chance meeting with a badger at a mutually inopportune timw. My wrist still hurts like hell a few miles cycling, and I've been avoiding anywhere badgers might be I do need a good quality 36v to 12v converter, but don't know what brand or type to look for. Can anyone see problems using this one?

I'd have to somehow waterproof an ultrasonic repellant, maybe this one?

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
Now, if you had been playing your guitar on your bike I'm sure that would have frightened the badger off and avoided the accident.

So when you are better (soon I hope), start practising.
You haven't heard my playing! The badger may well have been panicked into motion far sooner. I can only reach the bottom two strings with my left hand at the moment, I'm working on regaining flexibility to reach the other four. If I can't, I'll have to retrain as a lefty. Now would be a good time to train as a lefty, because I can't play at all well as a righty.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
Boots the chemist sell a hot wax bath with paraffin wax. Similar to nhs hospital treatment, you dip your hand/wrist in a few times then wrap in a towel for half an hour. Peel the wax off and place back in the bath.
Excellent piece of kit about £30 when I purchased mine for similar Injuries
I met with the Consultant yesterday and she was very unhappy at the lack of flexibility of my wrist. I asked about wax immersion, and mentioned that my physio had said he'd never heard of it. She said various NHS Trusts have differing treatments, and that this one might not offer wax immersion, and that she couldn't recommend it. She then requested "Urgent physiotherapy", my physio rang me just now to say that "Hot wax is a lot of work", which of course means he knew about it all along. There are wax immersion baths on amazon I'm tempted by at around the £60. Back to stretching, or trying to. The Consultant said "It's healed beautifully!", after inspecting the X-rays. Sadly, this time the X-ray technician was too professional to approach regarding photographing them with my phone.

Last edited:

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
Flashbacks and wrist-breakage PTSD were triggered eailer on tonight, when I saw another badger. I'm pretty sure it isn't the same one, it's smaller and didn't cause me any injuries.

I still can't reach all the guitar strings, but I'm working on it. The broken hand is darker and redder than the healthy one which doesn't contain a big chunk of metal. I hope it isn't gangrene or some other infection setting in or something. The physio didn't know, said not to worry about it.

Seeing different physio next week, because the old one which wouldn't contemplate using a hot wax bath treatment has left. Back to the stretching exercises, which might or might not get me more degrees of movement. The stretching might not loosen it all up if the joint is physically incapable of doing so owing to the big chunk of metal inside and it's alignment, which the physio said might be the problem.

I'm still waiting for a follow up appointment with the consultant, which they may be reluctant about because of my constant harping on about getting that metal part removed from my left wrist.

Last edited:

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Best wishes for a complete recovery, in as short a time as possible.
I have had a few broken bones over the years one way and another, but mostly I heal well.....though my right hand is slightly misshappen, due to knocking out some a***hole, who wanted to "get up my nose", about 50 years ago.
He went out like a light, and apologised profusely when he came round again!! I broke two Metatarsils (spelling possibly poor!) by my stupidly in hittimg him on the jaw!

Hand in plaster some 4 weeks, and it set wrong!!! Though it did not stop me being able to join the RN a few months later.... :):)

regards
Andy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
Saw my Consultant - he sent out a proxy this time, who told me that it was indeed a titanium implant in my wrist and they they don't "Usually" remove them anymore... he then went on to mention that screws can break during removal, new fractures could be caused... He said he had no idea why that hand was still darker and redder than the other, several months on. I've read about people having allergic reaction to titanium... if it doesn't normalise colour, I'll go back and demand that they remove it. Getting this implant removed is going to be a battle.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
No badgers, just a bunny and frog enjoying the rain