undecided, short list growing.... confused more advise please!

01423frankieboy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 20, 2014
YO51
Don't want to rattle on and make this a mega thread about me and my wants so I will try to be brief.

54 Male; 80kg / 13 stone approx. Used to cycle years ago bought a cheap heavy mountain bike and it's killing me (out of breath on slightest of hills not fun). Have beta blockers reducing my heart rate etc... want to get fitter and know this will take time. Cycling;Doc said good idea!! I live in a village and my shops are 3 miles away undulating with steady uphill on the way home. Unachievable at the moment but i'll get there. Work 12 miles away but i want to bike it. Total elevation there approx. 300mtrs but undulating all the way. Would like to pop to York about 12 miles away same again undulating. So to my short list; my basic needs and which to choose?

Kudos secret :- could pop in the car for excursions, light and looks sexy!
Woosh Gale :- same as above but not as sexy?
Freego folder :- Better warranty, reliability? not as sexy?
Woosh Sirocco 2 :- more stable; bigger battery, more miles, definitely sexy.

Any advice other suggestions greatly appreciated.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
forget the Gale, it's not a commuter bike.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
A 24 mile round trip could be tight on a 10ah battery, particularly in the early stages when you will want to use the assistance more.

If the terrain is no more than undulating, the Sirocco 2 with its 15ah battery should do the job well.

Whatever you get, make sure it has a rack, mudguards and ideally a basic light set.

You will need these for commuting, they can be retro-fitted, but factory fit is much neater.

The Sirocco 2 has all these, although the lights are very basic so you need to allow around £50 for extra lighting when the dark nights come in.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Battery's fairly small on the Secret, too: Shouldn't think it'll do for the commute.

01423frankieboy

Jul 20, 2014
YO51
RobF + jackhandy
If ! I went for the secret I'd charge it up at work. I call it undulating. Shop trip is the worst bit. 6 maybe 7 miles round journey. Form home 3/4 of a mile up and down, the for 3 miles a gentle down hill descending about 200mtrs. On the way back though that gentle hill feels like Mt Everest. All the clubs in Yorkshire use that section + and even the Lycra clad struggle. Do you know if the Sirocco 2 could handle that?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Difficult to comment on a climb I've not seen.

Of the two bikes, the Secret could well be the better climber, simply because all small wheeled bikes climb - and accelerate - better than large wheeled bikes.

But that Secret is not really a day in, day out 24 mile a day commuter.

Full size wheels are best for that.

If it was me, I would seriously consider a low step woosh Big Bear.

That's got as more power than the other two, and the large wheels and Dutch-style seating position will give you the comfort for that commute.

01423frankieboy

Jul 20, 2014
YO51
RobF
Thanks for the advice. I don't like the Dutch Style lived in Holland and cycled to work everyday for 4 years, even in Minus 20 degrees. Scarf round your face freezes to a mask at that temperature. Got my 8 km time down from 45mins to 18mins in 6 months; on an old sit up and beg 3 geared Dutch style beast.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
The sirocco 2 should cruse 200 m climb in three miles.
It's your heart lung combo that casts any doubt.
If you are happy to go slow at first and speed up with your fitness then the whoosh is fine. (Most bikes are really,they can all assist and give you more miles for less sweat) just some are better at niches than others.

You realy need to test ride a bike or six to get a feel for them.

Good luck

01423frankieboy

Jul 20, 2014
YO51
D8ve
Thanks! I'm not totally unfit, I walk four or five miles every day apart from at weekends when I'm chasing my golf ball round the course. I want to do as you advised. I have been working on my fitness and have done my shopping trip a few times, but just stop for a rest on the way back. Got an old steal 22kg mountain bike with a buckled back wheel which doesn't help! LOL!

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Frankie if you are doing 15 mph as you suggest then the whoosh will really cut the sweat down for you. (8km in 18 mins).
Don't worry too much about the hill climb as it's only part of your 24 mile commute. You need long term assist over the full distance. So the 15 amps 36 volts should provide lots of help over that distance.
On the flat bits you will drive the bike yourself, on the up hills the assist will keep you rolling at more than 5mph. And down hill you can relax.

01423frankieboy

Jul 20, 2014
YO51
D8ve
Good advice I hadn't looked at it like that. I'm a bit reluctant to admit I'm getting older! It's the thought of going electric that's holding me back I suppose. Guess I should go and try 1 or 6 like you said and take it from there. once again thanks for the advice. Anyone know where I can try near YO51 postcode area?

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Sounds like you might take to this 'ere ebiking lark :)
In which case, I reckon the Big Bear would merit consideration.

I know diddly squat about Woosh bikes, never having clapped eyes on one, but it does have a very similar assist system to my bike:
As I slow to below the assist threshold the power ramps up - Normally as I start to climb: As the hill steepens power increases, effectively lessening the steepth, til we reach maximum grunt (probably @ about 8mph) & from then on one either slows futher & topples into the ditch or eventually tops-out the climb.

The important factor, to me, is the maximum grunt bit; which is considerably greater on the BB.
The good thing is, it's not compulsory to use it all - You have it if needed.