understanding the 'keep current' setting on bbsxx

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
hi everyone.id like some advice on battery economy regarding the keep current setting.
i have a bbshd with 52v.which is so powerful ive never needed to change the keep current set at 60%. however my other bike is a bbs01 350w and id like to understand the best way to get the most from the batteries.
Originally it was also set at 60% .when i added a 2nd battery in parallel last year,to give 30ah. i changed the keep current to 100% to get the most power.however i wish i could tell if its wasting battery.
the display doesnt show amps/watts,unlike the one with the bbshd. i can see how the amps ramp down with the bbshd when i put more effort in peddling and when up to speed on the flat.of course the same must be happening with the bbs01 when at 60%.
I love to put in some effort of my own when cycling. Since starting to use the bbs01 again recently i find im often lowering the PAS level,so i can do this. Am i better off lowering the keep current and just leaving it on the max PAS? If i do that,when going uphill and putting in effort it will prob drop somewhat from the 18amp max? which is when id still like the full 18amps assistance. Am i right in thinking the throttle in that circumstance would bring it back to 18amp. Even on the flat with PAS 4, (approx 15amp) it still feels like i dont need that much power at 100% keep current.
What do others that have tweaked their settings find is the best option ,inc unnecessary battery drain.
My original reasoning was to maximise the less powerful bike,but now im not so sure.
thanks if anyone can clarify.