Upgrade controller

Mars

Pedelecer
May 24, 2020
Hi

I would like to upgrade the controller from the current speed controller the ebike came with (E-plus commute 27.5" folder from Argos). From reading this forum, the KT 250w sinewave controller and LCD3 are recommended.

Will the KT be compatible with the wiring shown in the attached photo of the current controller?

From what I can see from photos of the KT controller, that does not have the thick black cable coming out of the controller shown in the first photo and connects to what I think is the motor cable.

Many thanks in advance

2021-02-17 13.10.52.jpgcontroller.JPG

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Some KT's have it if they use the Julet cable connection other wise they utilise the the other style of three thick phase wires with bullets (Blue ,Green & Yellow) & six thin sense wires (White square dj7061 connector block), the latter then connects to a thick Black cable as in your pic to the hub motor.

Follow your thick wire to the hub motor and you should fine a connector near the hub , take a pic and show us the connector pulled apart.
You have the option of using both types of controller, you may have to make some wire connections at the controller as the existing connectors may not be the same nor the wire sequence /order.

Reactions: Mars

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
KT lcd and lcd3 are the highly recommended pairing or if you want cheaper, one can opt for the £30 or so Brainpower option. With KT you will need the 36v/15a one.

Mars

Pedelecer
May 24, 2020
Thank you for replying Nealh

Here are photos of the connector at the hub end

Think the penny has dropped; I will need a new cable runnng to the hub from the new controller!

2021-02-18 11.04.14.jpg2021-02-18 11.04.29.jpg

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Thank you for replying Nealh

Here are photos of the connector at the hub end

Think the penny has dropped; I will need a new cable runnng to the hub from the new controller!

View attachment 40836View attachment 40837
Ebay. They all have the same 9-pin connector at the motor ens, but there are two different arrangements at the other, depending on whether you get a controller with block connectors or moulded ones. There are different lengths avaolable too:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
9 pin Mars, you have a sensored hub so a sinewave controller will be quietest for the hub.
Your current set up is block connectors if you want moulded Julet type then you will need to buy everything inc Pas, throttle and brake sensors. Hub will have internal speed sensing.

Show us links of what you plan to buy so we can check you are buying correctly.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If the julet 9 pin ext cable doesn't come with a connector for the controller (it should do) you will need a dj7061a-2.8-11 6 6 wire block connector.

Mars

Pedelecer
May 24, 2020
OK parts delivered & fitted.

PAS has a red light when rotating crank but gives no pedal assist?

Motor turns when using throttle (P4 st to 0). Motor W oscillates on the LCD3, increases to aound 60 before reducing back to 30

Used this vid for settings (I left everything to default P1 = 87):

Checked motor leads are pushed in all the way up to arrow marked on the connector.

Any ideas?

Hub motor has following on case (think from reading this forum it may be MXUS):
DC36v700C250W19F0620 H

Mars

Pedelecer
May 24, 2020
Incorrect setting for C1. Set to 5 and PAS works

Not getting a speed on the display?

Mars

Pedelecer
May 24, 2020
Sensor should be internal from the motor as I understand things
6 wires from motor cable, connected to the white connector
P2 set to currently to 6. Wll try 1 now

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The cable is the same for all m otors, but some motors don't have a speed sensor in them. Did you have a working LCD before?

If you don't have a speed sensor, you can set P2 to 0. In that case, the controller will take a speed signal from its pulse timing, but your speed will always go to zero when freewheeling because the motor isn't powered in that situation.

Mars

Pedelecer
May 24, 2020
Ah OK. There was no LCD before - just LED so that makes sense. Will try 0

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If C1/5 works then 6 &7 may also work and feel better.
If you want a continuous ODO readout and mileage recorded wire in a wheel speed sensor with a spoke magnet, the process is quite simple and easy to wire in.

Mars

Pedelecer
May 24, 2020
Are KT sinewave controllers supposed to make the motor produce a sound reminiscent of a dentists drill? Just turned a few heads going down the towpath while testing it out!

Sound was worse at low speed and when using lower than 3 PAS levels, reduced to a 'quiet' whine at 12mph.

Also noticed that the battery usage seemed higher than under the old speed controller (admittedly I did keep that at 1 when on the towpath).

If I cannot silence the beast, the old speed controller will be going back on and there will be KT controller, LCD & PAS going up for sale on the forum.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It should be silent. I reckon you have the wrong motor connection sequence. Try changing the three combinations of the phase wires first. The last guy that had this said he fixed it with just the phase wires. If one of those doesn't fix it, you're going to have to go through all 36 combinations of phase and hall sensors. Three will work, but sometimes one is better than the other two.

Mars

Pedelecer
May 24, 2020
I connected like to like as per the attached. You talking about the 3 (blue,green & yellow) bullet ended connectors?

Attachments

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I connected like to like as per the attached. You talking about the 3 (blue,green & yellow) bullet ended connectors?
When you use a different controller, you can't guarantee that the connection sequence will be the same. There are 6 combinations when connecting each pair of phase wires (with bullet and barrel connectors) and 6 combinations of the three hall signal wires, which makes 36 combinations altogether.

Mars

Pedelecer
May 24, 2020
Sorry, I missed that I missed that in your previous message. That will keep me occupied this week going through the combinations!

Many thanks for the help.

Incorrect combinations can damage the motor?