Upgrade from a Fiido D4S

Fozziebear40

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 20, 2021
Hi, I've had a Fiido D4S for a few months now, my wife wanted it to learn to ride a bike, foldaway, put in car etc. I used to cycle a lot before illness at 40 left me with a weak leg and stuff, I'm 59 now. After discovering this electric bike, wow, it's great for me to get back into cycling.

In that respect, I want to get a bike for me, bigger wheels, non folding, more off road (dirt and gravel, bridleways) than tarmac. The thing I like about the D4S is the throttle at start-up, to get me going, rather than push down with my weak leg. I cycle normally then with assistance only on 1 (A little throttle here and there). I know throttles are legally a grey area. I'm 5'11" and 14 stone. I do notice that the motor kicks in abruptly with the D4S, not gradually like I would have expected, is that due to it not having a proper cadence sensor?

Anyway, I think the Woosh Camino or Gran Camino is the one to go for, it does have a thumb throttle (after a pedal turn). Any other suggestions please, Fiido M1 Pro? (But that isn't a conventional bike shape with normal wheels) Also what is the difference between the Camino and the Gran Camino? Cheers.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Throttles are not a grey area. It's absolutely clear. There are only two rules: Firstly, your throttle is only allowed to work independently up to 6km/h. Secondly, you can still use a throttle above that speed to regulate speed or power as long as the power stops when you stop pedalling. You can set your throttle up to follow those two rules and be legal if you have a KT controller. Some other controllers can probably be set the same if you read the manual for the control panel.

Some OEM bikes have KT controllers. I'm not sure which ones now, though I can't think of any mainstream brands. If you need a throttle, you should ask any vendor about whether theirs can be set up that way.

I would say that a 6km/h throttle would be more useful than one that only works after initiation of pedalling. Unfortunately, it's an "either or" setting for many bikes that have throttles or just one of the two functions. I can't understand why manufacturers won't make their bikes like we want them. It would cost nothing extra. I guess they never actually ride them themselves or haven't a clue about how ebikes work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fozziebear40

Fozziebear40

Jun 20, 2021
Thanks vfr400 for your detailed reply.

Yes, I think the 6km/h kick start is preferred for me but I may have to do without it with the Woosh Gran Camino (throttle after a revolution of crank). I can maintain a bike myself, that's why I'd prefer Woosh as they use standard parts.

Fozziebear40

Jun 20, 2021
It looks like the Wisper Wayfarer has both those throttles. An "easy start" throttle button and a throttle to use whilst pedalling.