UPP Batteries Warning

steveoshima

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 21, 2023
Ok thanks, guess the fireproof bag is just a bag now. Yikes!
Where does everyone else store their batteries?
Keeping it outside in a shed with the high 40c and sub-zero temperatures is not good for the batteries so what's the alternative?

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
Tempted to open up my UUP batteries, I bought some of the bottle batteries.
Ok thanks, guess the fireproof bag is just a bag now. Yikes!
Where does everyone else store their batteries?
Keeping it outside in a shed with the high 40c and sub-zero temperatures is not good for the batteries so what's the alternative?
"If anyone owns one, they should not use it and contact the seller for redress.”

steveoshima

Aug 21, 2023
The UPP 004 triangle is the one that has been reviewed as unsafe.
What about the other UPP batteries, the more common bottle battery types?
It would be good for a product safety report for the other UPP products. They must have sold 100s of thousands throughout the world, I haven't seen 100 of thousands of news articles related to them failing.
Storage for ebike batteries is a good discussion point, whether it is a UPP product or not.

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
The UPP 004 triangle is the one that has been reviewed as unsafe.
What about the other UPP batteries, the more common bottle battery types?
It would be good for a product safety report for the other UPP products. They must have sold 100s of thousands throughout the world, I haven't seen 100 of thousands of news articles related to them failing.
Contact the Office for Product Safety and Standards
Birmingham Office
Office for Product Safety and Standards
4th Floor Cannon House
18 The Priory Queensway
Birmingham
B4 6BS
United Kingdom

Email

OPSS.enquiries@beis.gov.uk

Enquiries

0121 345 1201

Teddington Office
Office for Product Safety and Standards
Stanton Avenue
Teddington
Middlesex
TW11 0JZ
United Kingdom

Enquiries

0121 345 1201

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I don't think there is an ideal place to store batteries. For me it is a matter of priorities and simple risk assessment. I can buy new battery, I can rebuild shed. When I keep battery outside, I know my family is safe.

You mentioned construction of fireproof box. Perhaps you should use your skills and focus on thermal isolation instead.

Last edited:

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
After watching these

I bought an ex army ammo box and stripped out the seal and keep the batteries in our attached garage (although, as others have said the smoke fumes will still come out)

For £10 if it does any good, it'll be worth it but
1) think the main risk is during charging
2) if you use the proper charger think it is minimal risk
3) It reassures my wife

People should still follow the guidance, don't leave charging for long periods of time, disconnect when charged, don't leave the house unattended while charging, don't block exits

Last edited:

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
Tempted to open up my UUP batteries
London Fire Brigade is asking e-bike users to check their batteries following a fire caused by an exploding battery that has been officially classed by the UK’s regulatory body as a “dangerous” product.

Pingk

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2023

"We’re asking people to check whether they have a UPP battery at home. If you do, stop using it right away, and contact the seller."

Doesn't get any clearer than this, that's potentially a company-killing mistake. Gonna be a braver person than me who considers buying a UPP battery after this imo.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
they are a Chinese company. When you buy a battery from Aliexpress or their website, you are the importer in the eyes of the law. As importer, you assume all product liabilities, you can't sue your supplier if their battery burns your flat, your neighbour's flat or hurts someone. Your neighbour or the person who gets hurt will sue you instead.
The answer is not to be an importer through ignorance of the law,.
Don't buy from abroad and don't advise members to buy abroad unless it's unavoidable.

• Informative
Reactions: Az. and thelarkbox

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Don't buy from abroad and don't advise members to buy abroad unless it's unavoidable.
Forumites can't be sued for advising buying from abroad.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

steveoshima

Aug 21, 2023
Thanks @Peter.Bridge for the ammon box idea.
The Royal Court of Justice article didn't say what brand and if it was being correctly charged.
More than likely he cycled to work and didn't give his battery time to cool down and plugged it straight into charge. Having stressed his battery out doing this over 100s of times it was bound to cause an issue. The BMS should have not allowed this but most brands dont do cell balancing from what I can find out. So yea whichever brand it was combined with poor user care we see the result.
There has been talk of a competitor teaming up with customers to suppress UPP. A lot of money to be made if you can take out your main competitor. UPP made the most affordable ebike batteries, so for sure there must be some cost cutting.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Forumites can't be sued for advising buying from abroad.
True.
Quite often, those advices don't come with a reminder about liabilities of being an importer.
Perhaps even those who give the advice don't think about this themselves.
No website is going to warn you of the possibility of being sued if an accident occurs involving their products.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
There has been talk of a competitor teaming up with customers to suppress UPP.
unlikely. There are litterally hundreds of vendors out there selling batteries.

steveoshima

Aug 21, 2023
As a matter of health and safety would it be wise for there to be a sticky thread, listing with a poll on recommended battery packs? Which users have had good and bad experiences?
Of course, sellers on here may advise on their batteries so hopefully they can stand by their choice and inform us of the quality of the components - the BMS, soldering, balanced cells, cell manufacturer... etc.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
As a matter of health and safety would it be wise for there to be a sticky thread, listing with a poll on recommended battery packs? Which users have had good and bad experiences?
Of course, sellers on here may advise on their batteries so hopefully they can stand by their choice and inform us of the quality of the components - the BMS, soldering, balanced cells, cell manufacturer... etc.
In the last 14 years, nobody on this forum has reported that their battery caught fire, so whatever advice has been given seems to be working.

Ebike batteries have caught fire, as reported by the press and fire brigade. We have no idea what caused any of the fires. People are making assumptions and drawing conclusions based on false premises and ignorance. The last fire reported involved two high end bikes, at least one of which had the Shimano system. Should we advise people not to buy bikes with Shimano system because of that?

It's the same thing with the hysteria in the press, where they run articles like "40% of ebike fires are from bikes fitted with conversion kits" instead of "Ban OEM bikes because they're 50% more likely to catch fire than a conversion kit", both of which are ridiculous because nothing is quantified. Imagine if they ran an article that said "40% of riders run over and killed by trucks were on legal electric pedal bikes". How big is the problem? How many people died? It could be 2 out of 6 in 50 years.

When any lithium battery catches fire, it's bad. Instead of focusing on what vehicle or device the burning battery was in, people should focus on the CAUSE of the fire, which in some or many cases will be nothing to do with the battery. When you have a list of causes, you have problems that can be solved. Blaming, ebikes, Chinese batteries, Chinese chargers or Shimano ebike systems doesn't solve anything.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: AntonyC

Pingk

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2023
Alternatively have an admin-locked sticky for government recalls/advisories like OP's so it's easier to know which to avoid?

Reactions: steveoshima

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
inform us of the quality of the components - the BMS, soldering, balanced cells, cell manufacturer... etc.
To find out more about quality of components and assembly you need somebody with knowledge and experience to open it and examine.

D

Deleted member 16246

There have probably been more recalls from prestige brands than Chinese ones. Brompton, Cube and Specialized all did battery recalls.
Samsung tablets not too long ago - mass recall because of some fires - probably less than 0.1%, but too high for them to tolerate.