Urban Mover Sprite 44

bluebus

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 22, 2020
Hi Everyone

I have been working on an Urban Mover 44 24v I recently acquired.

Battery reading healthy 26V but still no movement!

I have checked the motor by supplying 5v power along the signal wire from the pedal sensor to the motor and all is running well! As such it seems the issue is with the pedal assist sensor (bikecrank.jpg). This sensor is powered by 12v from the controller and sends out 0-5v signal to the motor telling it to run. Unfortunately it seems that the sensor is not putting out any signal and as such I presume it is dead. it seems it is unfortunately no longer possible to acquire this OEM part.

Does anybody know fit would be possible for me to fit a generic Chinese sensor and wire this into the controller. My main concern is that these sensors seem to run on a lower power input than the 12v of the Urban Mover?

Many thanks

Bluebus

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
How many wires does it have ?
Regarding the battery 26v is less then 50% capacity if a lithium one, if Li it should be 29 - 29.4v.

bluebus

Dec 22, 2020
How many wires does it have ?
Regarding the battery 26v is less then 50% capacity if a lithium one, if Li it should be 29 - 29.4v.
Hi Nealth

The battery is an older Nimh version... but seems to be giving enough juice tk run the 24v motor. The sensor is a 3 wire sensor... 12v at power but no signal coming down the blue signal wire.

Thanks for any help and advice

Bluebus

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
That's the old type optical sensor. Best thing would be to replace the controller with a modern one with LCD, then you can use a normal pedal sensor. Those systems are very crude with only one power setting. If you get a 24v/36v dual voltage controller, you can later get a 36v battery when your present one expitres, if it hasn't already. That bike will be much more pleasant at 36v with a decent controller. They're under-powered at 24v unless you weigh less than 75kg.

bluebus

Dec 22, 2020
Thanks very much for the advice!

As a temporary measure I have plugged in a throttle to the existing controller and ordered a new 24/36v controller and magnetic PAS. The optical sensor is indeed toast and I look forward to fitting a new set up!

All the best

Bluebus

qwert7

Just Joined
May 17, 2021
Thanks very much for the advice!

As a temporary measure I have plugged in a throttle to the existing controller and ordered a new 24/36v controller and magnetic PAS. The optical sensor is indeed toast and I look forward to fitting a new set up!

All the best

Bluebus
Any update on your battery rebuild? I've got an old UM44 that I am just beginning to look into reviving. I'd love a tutorial on converting it to 36W if you were successful. I more powerful bike would be great.