Urbanmover UM44S

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Hi...presently i'm riding a Wisper works 36volt 8a...I've had it 12 months...it was allegedly new 6 months before that makeing it theoretically only 18 months old.
Even when fully charged I have very little power and being 70 years old next week and not as fit as I wish, I find it so hard to pedal and impossible without power.
...It is just no longer a pleasure to ride.

There are lots of e bikes come up on ebay along the lines of "12 months old, only done 200 miles"....it's just not feasible is it ? plus the fact that they are always 100s of miles away make buying second hand almost impractical.

So I've decided to bite the bullet and buy new and I have just about decided on an Urbanmover UM44S.
It appears to have everything I need ...bit lighter, front suspension, decent rack, mudguards, adjustable bars, bit more range, 19" frame.

I tried a step through model at Presteign and found it to be a lot easier than my Wisper.
I'm assured that it's fully warranted for 2 years and I'm thinking that a 30 mile trip will be a lot easier on this bike....and for £1200 or less a decent buy.

I would like a test ride and still have a few queries on the bike but unless anyone can suggest differently I think that I'm 'gonna go for it.

....how big a mistake can it be ? .....Mike

Ultra Motor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi...presently i'm riding a Wisper works 36volt 8a...I've had it 12 months...it was allegedly new 6 months before that makeing it theoretically only 18 months old.
Even when fully charged I have very little power and being 70 years old next week and not as fit as I wish, I find it so hard to pedal and impossible without power.
...It is just no longer a pleasure to ride.

There are lots of e bikes come up on ebay along the lines of "12 months old, only done 200 miles"....it's just not feasible is it ? plus the fact that they are always 100s of miles away make buying second hand almost impractical.

So I've decided to bite the bullet and buy new and I have just about decided on an Urbanmover UM44S.
It appears to have everything I need ...bit lighter, front suspension, decent rack, mudguards, adjustable bars, bit more range, 19" frame.

I tried a step through model at Presteign and found it to be a lot easier than my Wisper.
I'm assured that it's fully warranted for 2 years and I'm thinking that a 30 mile trip will be a lot easier on this bike....and for £1200 or less a decent buy.

I would like a test ride and still have a few queries on the bike but unless anyone can suggest differently I think that I'm 'gonna go for it.

....how big a mistake can it be ? .....Mike
Mike-

We have a demo in the Cheltenham Technical centre you can try? OR- and this isn't something we normally do, for £60 we can post it to you for a week to try.......

Let me know

Mark...

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
thanks for that Mark....there are a couple of places I'd like to visit in the area so I'm thinking I will come to Cheltenham...is the CT centre GL50 2XT ?

I will Pmail you next week to confirm arrangements.

cheers....Mike

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mike63, could your battery just be on the way out - maybe it wasn't well cared for by the previous owner?

I wonder if it would be worthwhile finding a shop near you that demonstrates Wisper bikes, and that you could borrow a good well-charged battery from their demo model? If this improves the performance of your existing bike, it'll save you several hundred pounds! :)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Mike63, could your battery just be on the way out - maybe it wasn't well cared for by the previous owner?

I wonder if it would be worthwhile finding a shop near you that demonstrates Wisper bikes, and that you could borrow a good well-charged battery from their demo model? If this improves the performance of your existing bike, it'll save you several hundred pounds! :)
Yes and what I was going to suggest.......Even after a while if you still decide you want a new bike, your wisper will achieve a very good price with a warranted nearly new battery. maybe the larger 14 amp will fit.... Your bike "as is" cant be worth much?

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Cheers people...there are a few loose wires which I think are causing problems, I seriously doubt the battery is done, anyway I'm not interested in spending money on it...I want a change.

There is nowhere near me or any of the places I get to that demonstrates Wisper bikes.

Anyone want to make me a fair offer I'll consider it.
I've seen 'em go at this age on ebay, for a lot more money than I'll take.

....Mike

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Sorry Mike but to me this is pointless...............I just do not see the Urbanmover as being a better bike then a wisper 905SE:rolleyes:

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Cheers Eddieo...you may well be right but a wisper 905SE with a 14a battery is £1500...add on a rack and decent mudguards ad this becomes £1550.
...I'm hopeing to get the UM for little more than £1000.
and....the Wisper is a bit too small...I know you'll say it's not but for me it is.
...and I'm only 5'7" but I much prefer a longer frame.

I'm 70 years old Eddieo...It's what I've not done that I regret...not what I have. :)

....mind you....time will tell. :)

thanks for your concerns....Mike

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
"....how big a mistake can it be ? "

I dont get your reasoning, quoting the price of a new wisper when you already have one? Yours will probably take a 14 amp battery for approx £500 and cost roughly £100 to get serviced and sorted out mudguards etc.....Plus a new headstock to sort out the comfort aspect

It would be different IMO if you where going for a significantly better bike, good luck anyway!

Last edited:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Sorry Mike but to me this is pointless...............I just do not see the Urbanmover as being a better bike then a wisper 905SE:rolleyes:
I dunno the spec looks good, it has the variable pedal assist mode along with a low weight inc 10 year warranty on the Panasonic battery...however it's £1200 not £1000.....

Last edited:

Ultra Motor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hey guys

Mike is going to come and try and I'm sure he will be more than happy to post an independent review afterwards.

Just to be clear on warranty, its 2 years on the battery, motor and electronics + 10 years on the frame

Anyone is welcome to come to Cheltenham and try, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

All the best
Mark

I dunno the spec looks good, it has the variable pedal assist mode along with a low weight inc 10 year warranty on the Panasonic battery...however it's £1200 not £1000.....

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Anyone is welcome to come to Cheltenham and try, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!
....I'm coming a long way Mark so If you only have one demo
........don't book 'em on my day... :)

......Mike

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Just spoken to Halfords customer service and they confirmed a 10 year battery warranty! Personally I'm not so sure but it's there in black n white so anybody interested should print and archive the web page and buy now! :)

Kevinkayak

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 9, 2009
Belfast
Hi guys,
I got an Urban Mover UM44S Sprite delivered to Belfast on 10/9/10 after ordering it 6/11/09. Got it through the bike to work scheme for,; eh £1000. It currently has a fault in that it turns off unexpectedly and also won't turn off at the handlebar switch. I've only done 110 miles and I will write a proper review once I have experienced the bike for a few hundred. For now I am aware the power comes through in gulps. I know about the torque sensor (which gives power equal to the force at any time) but this is not what I am talking about. The power dies when climbing. I took off the side stand and put on pedals with toe straps so I can deliver more power. I changed the saddle to a more comfortable gel Madison one. I was keen to see if the bike would ever get stranded without power. Nope. There is no hill I can find which it cannot get up without power. Of course it is hard work to deliberatly climb hills without power, because it acts like a really heavy laden mountain bike, but there is no hill which will beat it. Very reasuring. Does it climb hills? Yep it sure does. It's like someone is pushing the back of your saddle, or in my case digging / pushing off & on. There is a hill which takes me 9mins to get up on my road bike. "Good" days take me 8 mins, bad days take me 10 mins. It horsed up the hill in 6mins. More time trial information will follow in a more extensive review. For now I am impressed and happy. Must get it fixed... Kevin