USA vs UK

Dougie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 8, 2007
How do the electric bikes in the USA compare to ours ?
Are they restricted to the same mph ?
What mph do they achieve ?
What distantces do they claim they achieve ?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
US e-bike speed limit is 20 mph and motors are limited to 400 watts nominal. Twistgrip control is the norm.

The US market for them is small in proportion to the population. Most US users regard e-bikes as basically fun bikes, only a very few actually commute or do serious things with them. For example, the discontinued Giant Lite (Lafree Twist in our market) was sold without mudguards or lights.

Just as well really, since the range on many of their bikes is small due to the high consumption of those powerful motors. Dealers and agents are few and far between, and bikes are often bought from very distant locations, so reliability is at a premium, given the lack of service locations. Dealers who handled the previous Giant Lite held that bike in high regard since it could be relied on to work straight from delivery without problems.

Some of the bikes are the same or similar to ours but have different names like that Lite I mentioned. For example, the newly introduced eZee Forza has been on the US market for some time where it's known as the eZee Fury. Others have different motors to suit that market. For example the eZee Sprint and other models that use the Sprint motor have a 350 watt version there, in place of the 250 watt that's on our market.

A few years ago when oil shortages first loomed, there was a surge of interest in electric vehicle research which led to the General Motors electric car reaching the market eventually. Chrysler Corporation investigated electric bikes, and their researches eventually led to the bike motor that we know as the BionX. Another person involved in this research left early to set up on his own, and the result of that is the Currie Electrodrive.

That's about the sum of what I know of that market. :)

Last edited:

Flying Kiwi

Pedelecer
Dec 25, 2006
Buckinghamshire
It depends where in the USA

I was reading this Electric bicycle laws - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia all about electric bike laws and as you'll see the results vary widely and in some places they're strictly forbidden, with riders being subject to arrest eg NYC - I dont know how that stands with companies selling electric bikes operating there! Overall, where they are allowed, they generally permit motor assistance up to 20 mph and much more powerful motors than here (useful for hauling higher payloads or better hill climbing).

Last edited:

Healthebike

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 2, 2007
North Louisiana USA
Electric bicycles USA legal rights

I hope this info is helpful:

The current Federal USA legislation passed in 2002 that allow true pedelecs up to 750 watts and regulated for less than 20 MPH to be exempt from registration, insurance and licensing regulations can be found here:

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=107_cong_public_laws&docid=f:publ319.107

According to Federal Law, these pedelecs are considered bicycles for the purpose of regulation. This legislation supercedes any state law. However, individual municipalities may pass legislation limiting general bicycle use on any public street as they see fit. They may, I suppose, regulate classes of bicycles as they see fit, or how many bicycles can ride together, or any use of a bicycle. Many cities ban bicycles of all types in certain districts an on certain road where they are perceived to create a hazard.

prState

Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
I'm pretty sure, here in the U.S. our laws for electric bicycles are made and enforced 99.99% of the time by people who are not familiar with the product at all. So, I suppose it could be better or worse for us, but it's mostly chance, that the laws are like they are. I'm sure they just went off some variation of moped, scooter laws which are based on engine size and or horsepower.

cg

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Although we complain here in the UK about some of the restrictive aspects of our UK and Euro laws on electric bikes, it seems we are lucky in having a uniform position* right across the country which in practice is not enforced at all by anyone ever.

*The 200 watt UK and 250 watt European limits variation is normally ignored anyway.

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
Yes, the US laws do make ours seem simple. The situation referred to by Flying Kiwi where electric bikes are totally illegal in New York State is particularly ridiculous, especially as parts of metropolitan NYC lie within the state of New Jersey where electric bikes are permitted. It sounds like one wrong turn and you're under arrest at gunpoint.:D

The principal of Federal law vs. State law sounds very much like us and the EU.