Using BB motor like GSM or BBS as intermediate drive

pn_day

Pedelecer
Jul 26, 2013
St Andrews, Fife
Dear all,

I've not been on here for a while - as I went through a foolish phase of trying to ride my heavy aluminium recumbent (velomobile) without e-assist. I've seen the error of my ways, so may lurk a little more frequently again...

One of the things I am wondering about is using a crank drive / BB motor (I have a GSM model from Woosh with external controller, which is very similar to the Bafang BBS), but instead of attaching pedals directly to the spindle on the motor, using a conventional BB and having the motor elsewhere in the driveline (probably in front of the cranks), connected via a secondary chain to the normal cranks (probably an inner chainring). I intend to use an external PAS sensor on the left hand crank as normal.

The reason for doing this is that most crank drives are rather wide - their Q-factor is wider than a standard BB+crank - and the internal width of my velomobile is restricted, leading to the side of my foot striking.

Would this work? Or would I be driving the whole stage of the motor when pedalling without power instead of just the secondary reduction + freewheel as normal when pedalling the cranks attached directly to the BB?

Enquiring minds want to know. The easy option is just to put the GSM back in and attach cranks directly to it, but this way could give more lateral space.

Thanks for any comments or wisdom you might have,
Phil