Using the Cycle Analyst

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
I am thinking of buying a cycle analyst (the plug in version) with the specific 25A infineon controller which it plugs into.

What I would like to do is use it as a way to be able to adjust the level of assist from the (250W Bafang) motor.

Can somebody tell me if this is possible. i.e. what is the usability of being able to alter the max current - is it easy to do or buried deep within the settings?

I would hope to be able to easily reduce or increase the assist level according to the amount of exercise I wanted on any particular journey.

Can anybody advise me if it is possible to use it in this way?

(I also want it for the usual battery monitoring purpose)

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
Sounds interesting...

I wasn't aware that there was a version of the Cycle Analyst that plug into a controller... however I have asked before about a programmable speed controller.

Personally speaking I would like to be able to log the bikes performance - speed, voltage, current, etc to be able to see how the bike attempts to use the power in relation to how I ride. That way it might be possible to create a custom power delivery curve to provide more assistance when I need it and less when I don't. Program that into the 'programmable' controller and see how that fairs... however there doesn't appear to be any such controller as yet. Might not work in practice due to external factors (terrain, weather etc), but it would keep me amused!

I would expect the current controllers to be microprocessor controlled and settings would be embedded within the firmware so changing it would not be easy - I won't say impossible as there are plenty of talented hardware hackers out there that have hacked much more complicated systems.

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
This is from the Cycle Analyst website:

"Furthermore, the Cycle Analyst has the ability to over-ride the user's throttle and regulate the power delivered to the motor, turning an otherwise dumb ebike into an intelligent device with a user programmable speed limit, current limit, and low voltage cutout. "

The Cycle Analyst Homepage - Ebike Amp-Hour and Watt Meter

I take this to mean that it will do what I want and control the current to the motor....therefore the level of assist.

The unit I am looking at is the direct plug in model with a controller as well....again from the website:

"Direct Plug-in Model (CA-DP): This unit is designed to plug directly into a motor controller to get the appropriate signals, resulting in a tidy installation with minimal wiring. Most motor controllers have an internal current sensing shunt resistor that can be used for measuring current, as well as a hall sensor signal that can be used to detect the wheel speed in direct drive hub motors. The CA-DP is terminated with a 6-pin plug that connects directly to the modified Crystalyte, Infineon, and eZee Controllers that we have at www.ebikes.ca."

My question really is for anybody who has a cycle analyst or has used one....is this functionality easy to access and will it do what I want practically speaking on a ride to ride basis?

JohnD

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2010
1st things first

I think the first question is 'do they do a controller that will control the 250w Bafang motor?' - most of the motors they use have hall sensors etc.
I note they do a version for any controller / motor but that version specifically states it can't do the 'extras' such a throttle override.

That said as I too have the 8-Fun I would be interested in knowing the answer....

:cool:

Last edited:

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
I think the first question is 'do they do a controller that will control the 250w Bafang motor?' - most of the motors they use have hall sensors etc.
I note they do a version for any controller / motor but that version specifically states it can't do the 'extras' such a throttle override.

That said as I too have the 8-Fun I would be interested in knowing the answer....

:cool:

I believe the Bafang brushless motors have hall sensors and the 25A Infineon controller should work fine (anybody please correct me if I'm wrong!)

I understand that 25A would destroy the 250W motor but I would like to use the cycle analyst as I mentioned and limit the current to 15A and less to reduce the assistance...

B.

jkirkebo

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2009
You'll be able to change the settings in about a minute methinks. So doable on a per ride basis but not during the ride.

JohnD

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2010
I believe the Bafang brushless motors have hall sensors and the 25A Infineon controller should work fine (anybody please correct me if I'm wrong!)
B.
No I'm sure the Bafangs dodn't have hall sensors - or rather I'm sure the one I have is sensor-less

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
No I'm sure the Bafangs dodn't have hall sensors - or rather I'm sure the one I have is sensor-less
Fair enough.....I know mine has....5 small wires plus the three main ones coming from the motor. Definately hall sensor wires; perhaps yours is different :)

B.

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
I have been using the CA for more then a year now. Higly recommended device. It allow you to limit the current. In fact mine is now at 6AH to get more distance out of my battery.
Regards,
Jo
Hi Jo,

Many thanks for this info....can you tell me how easy the current limit setting is to get to and use; is this something that could be accessed quite quickly?

Also, how effective is it for setting top speed? Can you have it set to 15mph for on road use and then increase this a little for off-road (and perhaps bump the current up to 16A for better performance)?

Have you set yours up with an existing controller or did you purchase the plug-in compatible one?

Sorry about all the questions.....!

B.

emissions-free

Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2009
Shanghai
You can set current limit and you can also set a max speed using the plug in CA. You need to ensure the controller is suitably equipped and that the controller is suitable for your type of motor. I do not believe you require hall sensors on your motor for the CA to limit the controller in this way. Look on the Ebike.ca website you can download the manual. It's all there.

I very much doubt a 25A controller would do your Bafang motor much harm if you are running it at standard voltage. It will also be rpm limited at it's standard voltage so you will not get much more if any additional top speed from it. If you're gonna be using the motor for a lot of long steep hills, higher than standard current could become an issue.