Using the ebike battery in a power cut

Audio2

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2015
Is it practical to use ebike batteries to run low powered domestic items in a power cut at home. Lights, tv, electric blanket etc. If it is how would you connect things up?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
No chance if the battery has handshaking with the controller (eg Bosch or many other up-market brands).

Otherwise should be possible via an invertor (eg 36v dc => 240v ac, around 100w to 200w, looks like a bit over £100). For lights a standard rechargeable lamp will be cheaper and easier. A standard UPS (uninterruptable power supply) might be easier for other devices, but you will be buying a second battery that way. Many UPS are only good for a few minutes (to save on battery cost), eg long enough to allow a computer to do a controlled shutdown.

Connect battery => inverter => standard power socket => TV. Unplug the TV from its regular mains socket and plug it in to the inverter power socket. Do NOT try to connect to your mains circuit.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I personally think that it is impractical, as you generally need 220 - 240 VAC in your house, though a few e-bike front lights may be useful in a power cut, to light up dark corners.....
There are DC to AC converters for making the mains AC from batteries, but they generally need either 12 or 24 DC as an input, as they are most often used with Lead Acid Batteries.
It is probably best to have a few LED flashlights around, one per person would probably be best, and buy ones with 18650 Cells, to give you the longest power on time.
A few camping lamps would also be a great idea to have, rechargeable ones of course!
A wood burning fire/stove can give heat, without the need for electricity, which if bought carfully, could also heat water, or do some basic cooking as well.
Some have a back boiler, and give the possibility of showers or bathing, without any electricity of any kind.
I had a Franlin wood burning stove (acually two, one in the lounge and one in the dining room, no central heating at all!) in the UK many years ago, with a swing out grill (on a hinge) that made fantastic steaks ready to eat as well as holding a kettle over the flames when needed....steaks need that the wood has burned down to a really hot glow, with little or no smoke by the way.
Old pots and pans do not care if they get a bit black, and still manage to do their job well.....
Best wishes.
Andy

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Is it practical to use ebike batteries to run low powered domestic items in a power cut at home. Lights, tv, electric blanket etc. If it is how would you connect things up?
That depends on how many bike batteries you have hanging around, but in general principle, no, not a practical idea.

Firstly, to get a rough idea as to workability, multiply the battery nominal voltage by the Ah rating to get the Wh - eg 36v 20Ah gives you 720Wh. Then of course there's conversion (battery to mains) losses so you might end up with say 500Wh.

Now look at the consumption of the devices to be powered and work out how long your battery will last.

A small 1Kw suitcase generator will be a more practical solution if emergency power is critical.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
You can get 36 or 48V DC to 240V AC inverters and power modest mains items from an e-bike battery. I actually recharge my e-bike when possible from a solar charged 40Ah 12V LiFePO4 battery, using a 300W inverter. When not recharging the bike, the system powers a small 12V camping fridge to keep my beers chilled.

300W is also enough to power lap tops and other modest items.

So I can ride my bike, even if the grid goes down and have a cool beer to chill out with :D

I have bought a large 4 kWh 48V battery pack and a 48V DC to 240V AC 3kW inverter, which at some point I want to set up with the panels. It's not an e-bike battery though, it weighs nearly 30kg!

It all depends on the wattage of the stuff you want to power and how big your battery is. If it's for lighting, I would go for 12V lighting, then you can run it from many different potential sources and you can get 36 or 48V to 12V step down modules quite cheap.

Whenever looking for an inverter, if you plan to use it with AC motors, make sure you get a pure sine wave version.

peterjd

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2019
I do sometimes on the relatively odd occasions of a power cut (at the moment:() link up my 36V ebike battery with 3 x 12V led lights (ex Lidl) connected in series. Fairly low current drain and sufficient light in lounge. Don't run the battery down too far or there could be recharging problems.

peterjd

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2019
Can you buy a plug to connect to a Woosh battery?
Probably in ebay. I don't know the style which Woosh use but I bought a 4 pin male plug for the Yose 36V 10Ah battery which I currently use, from an ebay seller.