Vehicle choice by distance?

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
I've started to log my journies by type of vehicle used - given that the weather is reasonable! If it's foul rather than fair-sh
substitute bus or car for anything over a mile!

Up to two miles - walk.
Two to five miles - cycle.
Five to twelve miles - ebike.
Twelve to twenty mile - moped (Honda 125ANF).
Twenty+ miles - car.
Can't afford to travel by train at short notice.

I wonder how this compares with other ebikers?

For comparison purposes I'm 74, with mild asthma, angina and arthritis.

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
up to one mile.. walk
one to twenty miles ... ebike
twenty to fourty miles .. ebike if the weather is nice
Anything further.. Car

However... If wearing a suit.. car ... if carrying a laptop.. car ... if taking the kids... car.. If it's raining... car.. If it's going into Central London.. car+tram+train+tube

36 years old. No medical conditions (unless you count a bad back... which is actually what got me into ebiking in the first place).

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My travel choices are completely random.

Because I enjoy walking in the countryside I will occasionally walk from two to six miles doing that, but I've also walked a round shopping trip of eight miles, plus a few of up to four miles.

E-biking can be anything from 1.5 to 10 miles on utility journeys, this option chosen when the weather is favourable and time isn't pressing.

Town car, any local distance in bad weather, from 2 miles upwards if time is very pressing, but more normally from 4 miles upwards.

Open road car, from 20 miles upwards, occasionally to 300 miles or more.

Public transport scarcely used and avoided like the plague.

I'm also 74 this year, but still enjoy running up stairs just for the hell of it.

Lloyd

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2010
Up to two miles -e-bike.
Two to five miles - e-bike.
Five to twelve miles - cycle.
Twelve to twenty mile -cycle (unless I am on a work appointment or need to carry something).
Twenty+ miles - car (unless it's on a training ride).

Trains scare me as they don't have a steering wheel :eek:

I hate buses, they are a product of Satan himself. :mad: I would rather cut off my limbs with a rusty saw and drag my body along the floor on my bloodied stumps than catch a bus.

I am 28 and reasonably fit, although occasional boughts of near-fatal man-flu sometimes render me incapable of doing anything other than driving.

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
My travel choices are completely random.

Because I enjoy walking in the countryside I will occasionally walk from two to six miles doing that, but I've also walked a round shopping trip of eight miles, plus a few of up to four miles.

E-biking can be anything from 1.5 to 10 miles on utility journeys, this option chosen when the weather is favourable and time isn't pressing.

Town car, any local distance in bad weather, from 2 miles upwards if time is very pressing, but more normally from 4 miles upwards.

Open road car, from 20 miles upwards, occasionally to 300 miles or more.

Public transport scarcely used and avoided like the plague.

I'm also 74 this year, but still enjoy running up stairs just for the hell of it.
I feel the same about (car) driving as you do about public transport....

I suppose being formally employed might have something to do with it. I'm 9 years younger than you, and won't be retiring any time soon (continuation beyond 65 has already been confirmed) and most of my work is in and around London, so I use public transport a LOT. It's free, so why not....

If I didn't live close to London I might have a more sympathetic attitude to driving, but in general although there is an element of unreliability in public transport it's usually quicker and more comfortable than driving, and even though I wouldn't be paying for parking or the congestion charge (or the vehicle for that matter) it's usually a no-brainer. It's certainly helped by the fact that transport links from here are very good.

Other than that - ebike or motorbike for fun and pleasure only, and I suspect the ebike probably wins these days up to maybe 30 miles total. That's very well within the range of the Wisper's battery, and much further than that would require a decent rest stop to restore the circulation to the nether regions!

Running up and down stairs goes with the job - if as is often the case I'm working in an office building undergoing renovation the last kit to be fired up is always the lifts....

Rog.

strider

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 17, 2009
Up to 40 miles E-bike , weather permitting.
Up to 1600 miles, motorhome.
Up to 20 miles, boat (water depth exceeding 2ft)
Up to 2 miles walking, when beer time at fecn house

Age 62
One replacement knee
Waiting for other one to be done.

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
I hate buses, they are a product of Satan himself. :mad: I would rather cut off my limbs with a rusty saw and drag my body along the floor on my bloodied stumps than catch a bus.
Ditto, :D

Car over 9 miles (unless there's passengers)
E-bike 0.5 - 9 miles (depends on weather)
Leave Battery at home 0.5 - 2 miles
walking 0-1.5 (depends on knees)
Train - Only if I'm forced
Jet 500+

Dynamic Position

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2009
I prefer to use the e-bike whenever I can because it is easier to park than the car and gets me from A to B on most journeys quicker.
I enjoy driving, but hate being caught up in rush hour traffic so I only use the car when I need to transport passengers or goods.
I will walk if it is convenient. The weather, road works, health and family greatly influence my decision.;)

E-bike: 1 - 30 miles
car: 0.2 - 900 miles
walking: 0 - 10 miles
Public Transport: very very seldom.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I will commute 40 miles a day happily on the ebike but time constraints mean I use the car otherwise, I'm still trying to tempt the bread knife into getting on a bike.

Patrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2009
I just use my e-bike for the commuting. I live in a small town which is about 1.5 miles across and work in a neighboring bigger but still quite small town 10 miles away.

Up to 5 miles: Walk
10 miles (to or from work): E-bike
Over 10 miles: Train and walk

I'm 40 years old. I've never got around to learning to drive because up to now I always been either too poor and/or not needed a car.

Phil the drill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2008
TR9
I use my e-bike (if carrying heavy loads) or ordinary bicycle for commuting (17 - 25 miles), unless weather absolutely foul - then I use the car.
Motorbike for fun.
Car - heavy use as 'Dad's Taxi'
Public transport? Whats that? It's more than three miles from where I live to the nearest bus stop, all down narrow, unlit, muddy and pot-holed lanes (actually it's the same distance to the nearest mains water, gas or drains.........). I do use the train (the sleeper, or I fly:) ) if i need to go to London (pretty infrequent nowadays).
Walk - up to 5 miles to irritate the dog, more for my own recreation.
Incidentally, I'm 50.

Phil