'Vehicle' recovery insurance.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Not wanting to push home 25kg of dead bike (might never happen, I know), do any of the bike insurers include a FULL recovery clause?

I ask as having glanced at the E&L policy, their 'recovery' only covers various things like accidental damage etc., and doesn't appear to cover mechanical breakdown. I suppose this is because their experience is in pedal bikes.

Any ideas?

Allen.

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
(might never happen, I know),
I treat all these schemes as suspect...rest assured, you will not be insured against what is likely to happen.

I would find somewhere safe to lock it up and collect it later with a vehicle.

.....Mike

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
And carry the number of a couple of local mini cab offices in the area on your phone........they all have estate cars/people carriers. I haven't needed to call one in over two years of happy e biking:rolleyes:

garrence

Pedelecer
Jun 10, 2010
The ones I've read have been woefully poor. The "recovery" involving taking you to the closest bike shop, train station or home - at their option.

I decided to just store the numbers of some taxi firms instead.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
You old cynics, you.

I shall, however, do what you recommend, and carry mini-cab numbers instead.

Oh, the other limitation (at least on E&L, and you can bet on the others, too), is that you have to be more than 5 miles from home for the recovery to kick in. Certainly in my condition (old, one-legged), 2 or 3 miles in the wrong direction (over the hills) would be too far, man, let alone 5.

As I say, I shall bow to your superior distrust of insurance companies...

A.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
It is not mistrust......but in all likelihood you should never need them:p