Veni vidi volvo

Volvo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 12, 2016
Yorkshire and Andalusia
So - as my moniker implies, I'm keen to get rolling, but have not the least scintilla of a clue what to get.
This seems a very good place to start.
I live in Yorkshire, as near to Morecambe Bay as the hallowed turf of God's own county permits, but today I returned to Spain to look at a property which may become my home.
I come here a lot, and have just established some transport - a 350cc Moto Morini V-twin, which is perfect for the mountains.
But I like to cycle.
I really do.
And I need exercise.
I really, really do.

I know I don't fancy front wheel drive, rear wheel drive might feel better. I've heard that driving the chain wheel feels most like a bike, but that seems to involve the drive train in more work, therefore wearing out chain bearings and cogs quicker ...?

Being a retired (recovering) architectural blacksmith, I can fettle stuff for myself to an extent, and am quite prepared to do so. I have an inexpensive bicycle which might convert, though it has no suspension.
My own suspension is somewhat ropey, so some bounce would be useful.
Here in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada the roads are either up or down, and the corners are mostly hairpins. Turn off the tarmac, and you lose 5 or 6 hundred years of modern sophistication, and gain a sore bum.
But -- it is such a breathtakingly beautiful part of the world, and the people are so warm and welcoming, that tomorrow I will drive my poncey hire car up a riverbed track that would give a mule conniptions, and consider putting down some roots.
Asta luego,
Volvo.

English is the lingua franca of the world. (Yeah, right.)

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Suspension definitely!

Rear wheel hub or mid-drive I will tell you later in the week after getting some km on the odometer, maybe in Navarra...

Hasta pronto

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Toughen up the chain line by going single speed. Chain that is then fit a rear hub gear. Alfine 8spd is tough and good range. Rohloff is the brankrupting biz. Then what ever mid drive kit suits the electrics are fairly basic the heavy twin core together, multi pin plug too display,two bake sensors and a speed sensor and your done. (Skip the throttle in Spain).

And hydraulic disks are cheap enough to be a no brainer.:D

Volvo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 12, 2016
Yorkshire and Andalusia
Greetings anotherkiwi (and there can't be too many) - I'm sure you are thoroughly aware that Navarra is singularly lacking in flatness. Your input will be valued, as Yorkshire and Andalusia are similarly afflicted, albeit the former on a smaller scale.
Big enough for me.
There are prolly several reasons why no person of sound mind would for a single giddy moment consider buying the unbelievably heart-stoppingly beautiful cortijo I viewed this morning.
I'm an idiot, so no problems there.
The vehicular approach is interesting, if not vertiginous; but a 'lecky bike would be perfect for popping down to Babylon (Orgiva) where the supermarcados lie. I can see Herself wearing a big smile as she sallies forth with a more reliable form of assistance than I have ever afforded her.

D8ve - I hadn't thought of that. Thank you.
I've done the opposite, which was to fit a Dutch bike with a triple chain wheel, and a derrailier (sp?) to deal with the slack, extending the range of the Sturmey Archer three speed, but I much prefer the simplicity of your suggestion.
Since the runaway terrain of Andalusia is a thoroughly rocky business, my own bike would eventually cut me in half. Springs are a must.
And if ever you've tried to sprint along a soft sandy beach, you'll know what suspension does to pedal power.
But what a difference a 'Potential Difference' makes.
You've got me thinking - no mean feat.

Volvo.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Well it probably cheaper to get an eBay bargin with suspension, disks and hub gears . Then it's a plug and play.