Video Editing Software for PC.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Last job before retiring was Windows network support. We had around 600 Windows servers to look after, around half were VMs.
600?!?! You'll regret revealing that - I now know who to PM when Windows plays up...

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
did you fresh/clean install win 10 or follow the upgrade path via windows updates. I find a clean install complete format works better.
Yep - upgrades to Windows 10 are awfully unstable and slow at work. Clean installs work a lot better, but I'm sticking to Windows 7 at home... Never 10!

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I will let you know, I will be using Oracle VirtualBox on this laptop, as its free, I do have a licensed version of VM Workstation 14 on my desktop.
Please do report back on how that goes? I very much doubt graphic card co-processing will work terribly well, but look forward to being wrong.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
And Microsoft have assured us that Windows 10 will be the last version of Windows.
In base 10, 11 usually follows - Microsoft makes far more profit selling cloud, which is worrying. Means they'll keep churning out half-ar&sed, flaky ill thought out incompetent operating systems. It wouldn't be so bad if Apple wasn't making their own CPUs, else I'd consider assembling hackintoshes in future.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I got Cyberlink working, although the 'free' version did not support the type of MP4 from my Techalogic camera.

So I used EasyFab video converter to convert the video to a format MP4 format that Cyberlink liked.

Cutting the last 15 seconds off the end of a 3 min video took me about 20mins to figure out, but proved to be not too difficult. I saved the 15 seconds as an AVI and it plays OK, resolution looks fine.

The free version saves the edit with a watermark.

Basic version costs £79 and you can only really use the free version to test the software.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Cutting the last 15 seconds off the end of a 3 min video took me about 20mins to figure out
In Vegas, you simply move the beginning or the end of the clip to size using the mouse - the preview window displays what is at the end or beginning, as you size the clip. Very fast and intuitive - Shotcut might operate in a similar manner?

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Shotcut might operate in a similar manner?
Something like that, I not down the jargon tbf I got fed up because early versions on 4GB ram kept crashing + I don't think my 2 core Celeron was really designed for video editing - Trying to get my Dad's old Ryzen albeit 6GB ram but it should have Vega graphics I hope, then with a little SSD magic and if I can jam in my 8GB DDR3l I have spare it should be an improvement, then I can really get into learning it all.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Something like that, I not down the jargon tbf I got fed up because early versions on 4GB ram kept crashing + I don't think my 2 core Celeron was really designed for video editing - Trying to get my Dad's old Ryzen albeit 6GB ram but it should have Vega graphics I hope, then with a little SSD magic and if I can jam in my 8GB DDR3l I have spare it should be an improvement, then I can really get into learning it all.
I'd be very surprised if 6gb wasn't sufficient for rendering cuts in 1080p - its effects, titles and colour work which use a lot more RAM: Chromakey, wipes, fades etc. Applying LUTs should be less problematic than colour grading using the program's inbuilt tools themselves, whatever those are in Shotcut.

• Informative
Reactions: PC2017

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
I will let you know, I will be using Oracle VirtualBox on this laptop, as its free, I do have a licensed version of VM Workstation 14 on my desktop.
Oracle VirtualBox is pretty good, we used in in work a good few yrs ago for sandpit SAP installs, just be careful where you source the OS images from though especially if they are Windows flavour, I also wouldn't do anything apart from testing stuff then blowing the image away when done, just in case, no internet banking... ;-)

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
If the PC has only 4GB RAM and, for example, you're running Windows7/10 then the OS itself will take up a minimum of around 3+GB if it's clean, more if the machine is bloated with crapware that autoruns/auto updates etc. on startup...

So that leaves pretty much NO ROOM for your app to load in to memory, so PC starts to use swapfile to dump some data to HD, lots of additional I/O, more stress on CPU, it's a vicious circle that ends up in tears, especially with anaemic Celeron CPUs....

If you are using the graphics that are welded in to the CPU then you're also going to have a hard time, they are not designed for anything but light graphics work (try playing Fortnite...), and have crappy frame rates, so, double whammy!!

Reactions: PC2017

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
I'd be very surprised if 6gb wasn't sufficient for rendering cuts in 1080p - its effects, titles and colour work which use a lot more RAM: Chromakey, wipes, fades etc. Applying LUTs should be less problematic than colour grading using the program's inbuilt tools themselves, whatever those are in Shotcut.
As mentioned above, 6GB also gives practically no overhead after the OS has loaded.

If you're processing and it's using RAM as temp storage and not scratch disk then, gl!

Older software will run on older PCs although not nearly as well as it used to, also the quality will jar as we're used to 1080 min these days. I still have an old (very old), Atari 1040ST that I bought second hand when a student with Cubase sequencing/recording SW with my MIDI Roland W-30 sampling workstation (the Prodigy have dozens of these keyboards, his early stuff was written solely on them). I can still run Cubase on the Atari if I can be bothered setting it all up and getting the hairdryer out (dodgy capacitor somewhere...).

However...it runs WAY better on my Macbook Pro with 16GB RAM ;-)

EDIT: - I just googled Atari 1040ST and read the wikipedia entry, for once actually quite an informative page, if you're at all interested in older computers/music then have a look https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_ST

Who used Atari 1040STs?

Tangerine Dream, Mike Oldfield, Fatboy Slim, Jean Michel Jarre, Utah Saints, Cabaret Voltaire, Depeche Mode, Fleetwood Mac, B.B. King

The downside?

Stock, Aitken and Waterman and the Pet Shop Boys.... (who replaced their Fairlight CMI with an Atari ST!!)

Nuts...

Last edited:
Reactions: guerney

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
Sony Vegas 13 rendered cuts fine with just 8GB RAM (nVidia GT720 Ti)
That GPU will have maybe 1/2GB of onboard fast RAM, so that's 9/10GB available if the chipset can handle it?

Big difference from 4GB/6GB PC with poor CPU ;-)

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
These days everyone seems to use software synths, which lack dynamic range and character. To my ear they all sound pretty much the same.
Agree, man and dog can now produce 'music' on their phone ffs, the software is incredibly sophisticated now, but it lacks the warmth and character (and um skill), as do a lot of digital DAWs on laptops etc., bit like when quantisation became an accessible thing.

The W-30 workstation samples at 12-bit however uses 16-bit digital to analogue converters when replaying, it also has some pretty mean and dirty filters ;-)

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I have tried the Microsoft Video Editor that comes with Windows 10.

At first it wanted me to buy a MP4 codec from their store, for only $1 mind. But if you know where to llok the Microsoft store will give you the codec for free.

Whilst this MS tool is very basic, it does let you trim videos.

Reactions: portals

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Atari 1040ST
Arh treasured memories - I always clean install OS when get a laptop defo no bloatware, tbf I only put shotcut on to post a few little vids to YT I was pretty impressed with my laptop and my own patience, I did manage to produce some half decent videos with a few slide effects and text, the usual basic low grade low quality 720p lame but to the point kinda stuff. Something I always wanted to try since Win95.

I always say you got to try these things otherwise you'll never know if it's worth perusing as a hobby, in essence like e-bikes unless you dip your toe the water you'll never learn to swim.

But in my case most of the time "Trying is the first step to failure" - Homer J Simpson

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
I've used the Windows7 Movie Maker in past too...as you say for casual quick edits/trims it does the job!

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The free version of VSDC has a lot of features, including 4k output:

Last edited:

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
The free version of VSDC has a lot of features, including 4k output:

Thanks, I will try in in my VM, just to see what its like.