Viking eco power issue

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I've just taken the front hub off. All seems good to me. Gears are all good, no broken or missing teeth. No play in the bearings. What's the general way to service these? Just a regm grease? Again, ive attached pic of front hub. Thanks
The hub generally looks pretty good inside, you can slap more grease in if you wish, I use dark moly grease. There looks to be salt crystals on the motor I would clean that up.
Sort the PAS disc and sensor out first & try it before outlaying money on any upgrades.

1984danc

Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2020
Devon
The hub looks pretty good inside, you can slap more grease in if you wish, I use dark moly grease.
Sort the PAS disc and sensor out first & try it before outlaying money on any upgrades.
Thanks mate. You have all been brilliant. Will report back!! Thanks again

1984danc

Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2020
Devon
It appears to me that the disc has been replaced with a smaller diameter one and the sensor has been bent so that it gets a signal, the signal pickup might not be 100%. You need to buy the proper larger disc, I posted three options to buy.
If the disc isn't tight on the axle and is also tight to the sensor then the disc likely doesn't rotate correctly, any disc that isn't tight can be easily sorted out by wrapping some electrical tap or amalgamating tape on the axle first then twist the disc on to it.
Did you say you have posted 3 options for me to look at? Cant find the post that's all! Thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Some of those bikes use a 24v or 36v system, the charger or battery will tell you the voltage.

Before wasting money and buying a new battery see how the battery performs under load, once the PAS is sorted.
Temporary wire up a cheap voltage meter to the power wires between battery & controller and go for a ride, watch the voltage to see what happens to it. Use all the power levels and see if it collapses badly, if so then the battery/s have had it.

Last edited:

1984danc

Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2020
Devon
Some of those bikes use a 36v system, the charger or battery will tell you the voltage.

Before wasting money and buying a new battery see how the battery performs under load, once the PAS is sorted.
Temporary wire up a cheap voltage meter to the power wires between battery & controller and go for a ride, watch the voltage to see what happens to it. Use all the power levels and see if it collapses badly, if so then the battery/s have had it.
Mate your a star! So helpful. Thanks ever so much

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If you need a battery they will likely be a generic case type which you can see on ebay.
Did you say you have posted 3 options for me to look at? Cant find the post that's all! Thanks
You are right I got mixed up with Freego PAS thread , your disc will be the same one size wise.

1984danc

Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2020
Devon
If you need a battery they will likely be a generic case type which you can see on ebay.

You are right I got mixed up with Freego PAS thread , your disc will be the same one size wise.

Does it matter if I get one with more magnets? Mines got 6

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Does it matter if I get one with more magnets? Mines got 6
I don't think your current one is original because of the bent sensor. Some only use 5 poles so a 8,10 or twelve will or should give a smother and quicker pick up.
Get the twelve and if it doesn't play ball remove every other magnet.

1984danc

Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2020
Devon
Hi guys!
Still waiting for my new 12 magnet sensor to arrive. I've dont a test on both my batteries. Neither were completely charged but weren't far off. One read 28.9 and the other 28.4. I also tested them under load. One dropped to 27.1 and then other 27.9. I'm guessing from these results that the batteries are ok??

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hi guys!
Still waiting for my new 12 magnet sensor to arrive. I've dont a test on both my batteries. Neither were completely charged but weren't far off. One read 28.9 and the other 28.4. I also tested them under load. One dropped to 27.1 and then other 27.9. I'm guessing from these results that the batteries are ok??
24v is your nominal voltage.
The batteries are usable though depends which of the load voltages relate to which battery charge.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Battery 1 = 28.5
Under load= 27.8
Battery 2 =27.9
Under load= 27.3
Sag under load looks very good.
How much load or PAS level ?

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
Just as a matter of interest have you checked there is no drag from the back brake? I found it a really hard thing to set up on the Viking it either didn't work or created drag if not adjusted properly.

1984danc

Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2020
Devon
Just as a matter of interest have you checked there is no drag from the back brake? I found it a really hard thing to set up on the Viking it either didn't work or created drag if not adjusted properly.
I've noticed the rear brake is binding a little bit actually! I might disconnect it completely and try that. Thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For load test using high PAS isn't enough as that is just a simple no load test, there is little resistance., You need to see how the voltage fairs by gently applying the brake at the same time to simulate the ride, try low and medium PAS as well.

Reactions: 1984danc

1984danc

Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2020
Devon
For load test using high PAS isn't enough as that is just a simple no load test, there is little resistance., You need to see how the voltage fairs by gently applying the brake at the same time to simulate the ride, try low and medium PAS as well.
With the brake gently applied and in all the ranges the voltage doesnt drop below 25v between 25v and 25.5v

1984danc

Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2020
Devon
With the brake gently applied and in all the ranges the voltage doesnt drop below 25v between 25v and 25.5v
I've rigged up the multimeter and been for a ride. The voltage doesnt drop below 25v even up hill. The front wheel is quite tight to turn on it's own when everything is switch off. Is that normal? It's like the brake is binding but it's the front hub.