Viking EGO ( A Bit of a Gamble)

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
Hi folks, having got the E- Bike bug about 18 months ago when i bought a Wisper 905se I saw a ratty Viking EGO for sale locally today so decided to take a gamble and bought it untested and totally filthy. The owner assured me it worked but had been well used and abused so agreeing on a cheapish price I threw it in the car and took it home. So this afternoon I decided to see how bad it was and if it did work, on first impression it looked like it had been stood outside for quite a while, the brakes did not work, the gears would not change, the chain was rusty and it was absolutely filthy. First of all I washed it and was pleased to discover the caking of oil and dirt had saved the wheels and spokes and they were perfect underneath. Next came the brakes which turned out to have seized cables and fittings. The gear problem was a mixture of dirt,rust and the fact that someone had screwed the adjuster screws right in. Having rectified all these and pumped up the tyres i fitted the battery which was only showing minimal charge although the charger was showing a green light (to be further investigated) only to discover the lock seized, after liberal doses of GT85 it finally turned on and lo and behold the motor worked. At that point I decided to call it a day and will continue tomorrow. Steve W......

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
And the tale continues today, the battery charging problem which turned out to be simply a poor fit when plugging the battery charger in to the battery! I replaced the front brake blocks, the rear drum is working but pretty poor at stopping the bike. Having done all this decided a test ride was due and in fairness I was not expecting too much with having a Wisper and a Juicy in the garage but was pleasantly surprised at how well it pulled considering it is a front hub motor and only 24v. It felt a bit skittish with the 20" wheels but all in all I was pretty impressed (especially considering how much i paid) I am not sure how strong the battery is yet as i only went around the block a couple of times but will give it a longer test run in the week, but I reckon it was a bit of a bargain. Steve.