Vintage Raleigh Conversion

homemoz

Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2007
UK
Does anyone have suggestions about a suitable conversion kit for my old Raleigh bike (circa 1984). As can be seen from the photo, it's a mixte frame, drop handlebars & original 27" size wheels (steel frames replaced with alloys). Brakes are side pull callipers & the frame is nothing special. I think they are known as "gas pipe" bikes. Having said that, it's good to ride, fits me well for size and not especially heavy - lighter in fact that my wife's more recent alloy Raleigh Pioneer. The front dropouts seem narrower than on my wife's bike - maybe with having a steel frame?

I was thinking of the go-e friction drive but have gone off the idea. Looking for something as simple as possible - no need for digital display, brake cut outs or large battery - 9 amps is perfectly adequate for me. There are times when I would like to use the bike without power, so any motor would need to freewheel easily (not interested in crank drives - would prefer front or maybe rear hub). Similarly, either pedelec or throttle okay - main criteria is simplicity. There are no bottle mounts, so battery would need to be in pannier of rack pack. Have searched forums but can't find much about conversions to these older steel frame bikes. Any suggestions very welcome.

IMG_0352.jpg

D

Deleted member 4366

If you're fond of that bike, keep it as it is. If you want to do a conversion because you like DIY and technical things, find a more suitable donor bike, otherwise buy a ready-made e-bike.

Basically, you've put too many constraints on the project already. How good are you at understanding/dealing with the technicalities of a bike conversion?

It has the wrong size wheels for an off-the-shelf hub-motor kit. Can you confirm the actual size written on the tyres. Look for a number that says something like 23-622, 25-635, not the size in inches. The brakes might be OK for its present speed and weight, but they'll be overwhealmed by the extra speed and weight after the conversion.

The LCDs give you proper control of the pedal assistance. Without one, your riding won't be nearly as pleasant.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
As D8 says, the brakes are clincher for me.

You can pick up a half decent secondhand mountain bike on eBay/gum tree that will be much easier to convert.

As you have experienced with your wife's newer, yet heavier bike, the Raleigh brand is not what it once was. While I believe they make some nice stuff at the top end, the dross they spew out at the other end taints their reputation.

homemoz

Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2007
UK
Thank you both for replies. The wheels are 27" - in metric 630 I think, as per the old traditional road bikes. Brakes are actually pretty good with decent brake blocks on alloy rims. Just as good, if not better than my Brompton with it's upgraded brakes. My reason for converting the bike is that I like it & it is my primary transport. However, these days I struggle to do longer distances. I also have too many bikes and at least one will have to go. I would prefer if it wasn't the Raleigh which is ironic considering that it was by far the cheapest at £60.00. However, if a conversion isn't possible then so be it. I will continue to ride the Raleigh to & from work etc & forget about longer distances on it. I agree that recent Raleighs are not what they were. Probably shows my age but to me the older steel bikes have a real elegance which is missing from most modern alloy bikes.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Don't get me wrong, converting the Raleigh is entirely possible, its just a bit more hassle than a modern bike, and I'd still be very wary of those brakes.

You'll need to be able to build a wheel, and source the correct size rim/spokes.

Looks like you are limited to battery at the back, so you either need a small battery/rear motor or else front motor to help with weight distribution.

I imagine you'll need to spread the fork a little, and file the dropouts a bit deeper.

A throttle will be hard to use on drop bars, so pedal sensor probably best.

You need some kind of display to be able to adjust the assist level and switch on/off. The basic one is all I ever go for:

https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-kit/549-s-led890-e-bike-led-meter-ebike-kit.html

Ruadh495

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2015
Nice bike. I have a similar one (gents Medale in gold) as my back up bike in case my e-bike packs up. You're right, it's remarkably light for a frame usually disparaged as "gas pipe".

A conversion wouldn't be that difficult, change the fork and use a standard 28" (700C ISO622) front wheel kit. That's what I did on my Batavus http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/e-b-c-kit-first-500-miles.22906/ which is a similar age. I found the 1" threaded steerer fork on EBay.

homemoz

Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2007
UK
Yes, it is a nice bike & remarkably good nick for it's age. Can't really understand the modern obsession with alloy. I had thought about just using a 700c front wheel but the change of fork is a good idea. I am going to wait until the cytronex kit comes out & take it from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Yes, it is a nice bike & remarkably good nick for it's age. Can't really understand the modern obsession with alloy. I had thought about just using a 700c front wheel but the change of fork is a good idea. I am going to wait until the cytronex kit comes out & take it from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wouldn't hold your breath for that...... its been 'coming soon' on their site for years now.

davidg

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2016
France
I would be tempted, if you are going to do it at all, to put in a front wheel motor and a small bottle cage battery. I see people using these on racing bikes.

homemoz

Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2007
UK
I would be tempted, if you are going to do it at all, to put in a front wheel motor and a small bottle cage battery. I see people using these on racing bikes.
Yes, still considering it as winter project. Two possibilities are the Add-e kit (shop is Wiltshire will be stocking them), the other is Cytronex. Although there is a certain scepticism on this forum, my understanding is that the Cytronex kit is due in September 2016. Both have discreet bottle batteries & are suitably lightweight. With the Cytronex, I would need to replace the front wheel with 700c & fit long reach side pull callipers. Tektro do a set for about £34.00 which would be suitable. Firstly though will need to sell my old 1990's Brompton. Currently have 3 bikes including the Brompton & a Dahon electric folder. The bikes that get used are the Dahon & Raleigh. Sadly the Brompton is neglected in a corner of the garage. A real waste for such a good bike.

D

Deleted member 4366

The Cytronex kit has been coming in September for about 5 years. They were selling rebranded Keyde kis recently (or now). The Keyde kits don't have a good reputation for reliability. That's not to say that they're still unreliable.