VLCD5 Thumb Throttle.

PeterPi

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2019
I have a TSDZ 2 and a VLCD5 display. I would like to add a throttle but I believe the VLCD5 I have has the wrong number of wires and is not compatible. Could anyone suggest a compatible display and/or a hack. A knee injury means I'm going to have to join the thousands of law breakers and stop peddling for a few months. :-(

TIA Pete

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
I seem to remember there is an 8 way cable option when throttle is wanted, but that it originates inside on the motor controller board.

Reactions: PeterPi

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One can't simply add a throttle to a tsdz2, they are sold as two models throttle enabled and no enabled. It is down to the controller fitted.

Reactions: PeterPi

PeterPi

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2019
I seem to remember there is an 8 way cable option when throttle is wanted, but that it originates inside on the motor controller board.
I shall have to take a look. I did a repair on the controller last summer and I have seen replacements advertised. A circuit diagram would be great.

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
Just to add to Az above, as well as buying the 8 pin controller, I think you may need to buy the 8 wire version of the Vlcd5 as well as special throttle that plugs in.

There is a cheaper alternative to replacing the Vlcd5 by using an 1T2 cable but I am not sure how well it works.

Last edited:

harrys

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2016
Chicago, USA
I believe the TSDZ2 circuit board has the inputs for the throttle, but for the 6-wire display, they leave the wires off. Why maintain two versions of the circuit board?

Check this link, and you may wish to look at your circuit board to see if the three inputs are there. The main one being the pad for the throttle signal. You'll always find +5V and ground somewhere. No need to run the throttle thru the display if the inputs exist. Just run a separate throttle cable from handlebar to motor?

Now you might have to update the firmware to tell the circuit board there is a throttle. I dunno about that. Also, the throttle on my TSDZ2 is mainly good for verifying the motor works on a ore-ride checkout. It's very weak, although it can be used for a start from a standstill, if a climbing gear is picked.