Volt Axis very good with a little bad.............

Trek

Pedelecer
Jun 22, 2013
Hi here is a short summary of my new bike
Volt Axis Shimano Steps 6100

46B53C83-35ED-41DD-A017-C001A11262D7.jpeg

860DA38B-90F7-4EB9-AF50-F85DDE823AFA.jpegC3F59361-5793-43D0-8AA2-8A6953BE8CCF.jpegE40E56D5-A754-4A97-A903-064919CBDF4C.jpeg

I am a retired pensioner with some health issues. I have not been able to ride my normal bike what with some steep hills where I live, for some time now.
with this machine I can at last.The Shimano Steps 6100 is a godsend. It has three levels of assistance Eco,Normal, High. Also a walk mode if you need to walk with your bike, havent tried this yet though. With the assistance set to high I have been able to ride up some of the steepest hills I have encountered so far, also in normal mode head winds against me no problem. Gear shifting is slick and instant via the handlebar controls and can be in manual or auto shifting. What I also like is that you can pre select a gear to be in every time you stop, for instant get away. Battery can be charged on bike or removed with key indoors to complete, which also locks the bikes built in Abus lock, which will also take Volts high grade extension lock to imoveable objects. A hefty kickstand, pannier rack and lights completes the package. A word of caution you have to switch the display on and select if you want assistance on before mounting the bike as any pressure on the pedals will throw up warning codes.
Anyone thinking of buying this bike to lug around trains, tubes and buses, be aware it is quite heavy but for me to fold and lift into car boot is perfect.
Not so good, front light did not work and only when I opened fold of bike did I discover this:
35E6548B-6362-4B13-89BE-DCCD2ADAEC4F.jpeg

yep factory not checked it and obviously to much cable left protruding causing fold closure to damage cable. Volt now supplying new part for dealer to fit.
Must say over the moon with e bikes and Volt, thanks for giving me enjoyment in life back.
Thanks for Reading.

Attachments

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Thanks for taking the time to review it. We've not had that one before, so it's bound to be useful for someone. If you can, let us know after say 200, 500, 1000 miles etc because long term reviews give a much better picture and we get very few of them.

Regarding the wires, get about 12" of spiral wrap to protect the cables into the frame. It'll make it much easier and safer to fold.

Trek

Pedelecer
Jun 22, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to review it. We've not had that one before, so it's bound to be useful for someone. If you can, let us know after say 200, 500, 1000 miles etc because long term reviews give a much better picture and we get very few of them.

Regarding the wires, get about 12" of spiral wrap to protect the cables into the frame. It'll make it much easier and safer to fold.

Thanks your response and advice much appreciated. Will review long term at future date.

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
Nice looking bike Trek

I'm curious about the auto gearchange. Does it sense your cadence and automatically change up/ down when you pedal too fast/ slow?

Thanks for the review

Trek

Pedelecer
Jun 22, 2013
Hi Gavin, I have been using it mainly in manual and only tried auto so far for a limited amount. From what I can sense it can change up and down gears based on cadence, speed and pressure on pedals. I will try it more extensively and update.

Reactions: Gavin

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Lisburn Co Antrim Northern Ireland UK
Hi Trek
Just seen your post.
We are also pensioners and bought two Volt bikes four years ago. Mine is an Infinity and Anne's is a Pulse.
I have a background in auto engineering and I can say that I was very impressed with the bikes from the beginning regarding welding quality, general strength and fixtures.
I had some communication with Lyle at Volt in the first few weeks and found him more than helpful, polite and agreeable. Our local dealers have also been excellent despite their preference for "lycra" they have always made themselves available even during the lockdown.
We had some issues with "legality" of ebikes over here for nearly two years but that has been sorted when the powers that be (?)came to their senses.
We now have over 2000 miles on both bikes and are more than pleased with the performance offered to assist us, especially me with some health issues.
I really like the electronic gears on mine (prefer the manual setting) and the hydraulic brakes are superb. Mine will automatically select 2nd when I come to a stop in order to be ready to move off again.
We both get an easy 35 mile day which is about my physical limit but Anne could go on for over 40 miles on a full battery.
Mine always shows 42 miles (full assist) capacity when we leave and usually I am left with 10 or 12 miles at home which is fine. I have to use full assist for 75% of each ride because of my lack of left leg ability.
Both batteries charge in three hours although they are never actually ever flat.

To date neither bike has given any problems apart from a broken chain on mine after the enforced layoff despite my attention prior to the initial ride but to be fair it did look neglected even though I did prepare it when they were locked away in a dry area, maybe too dry!

I see the new versions and for the record the new Pulse seems to have changed little which is always IMO a good sign suggesting that not much needed to be changed or updated.
In my case the Infinity has changed and I do like the new, much clearer screen like yours. I also notice the new Infinity has a chain tensioner which I would have liked and I think I must have just missed out on that feature when I bought mine. The built in locks also look well and efficient but we never leave the bikes unattended anyhow and they are locked together securely at any tow path rest stops. I am not a great fan of the opportunist villain.

Unlike yours our lights are powered from independent batteries and are actually very bright. I am OK with that, preferring that all power from the main battery powered the bikes alone, but that is just my opinion.
As VFR400 (BTW I rode an 851 Ducati when I was alive) suggested, a long term report is good but in our case I have done my best and the truth is - nothing to report!
Is that boring? - No we are happy to say that both bikes although different in many ways have been brilliant and we are glad we made the decision with Volt.
I did have a Powabyke in the early 2000's when we lived in England but these bikes are obviously not comparable to that monster!

We have a Brompton each for use tossed in the car for when we are off on tours but we are very limited because of the effort required it is flat roads only.
Once again they are excellently engineered folders and I suspect your Axis will be the same.

Personally I would like to know why there are not more Volt comments / reviews / opinions etc on this excellent forum because they are quite popular over here, not sure obviously about England anymore but the new factory sounds like things are doing well.
Would we buy the same again?
In honesty the answer is yes because they do everything we need from them.
I wish you well with your Axis and many safe and happy miles.
Regards
Ted.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trek and Gavin

Trek

Pedelecer
Jun 22, 2013
Hi Ted, Thanks for such a comprehensive reply and report, much appreciated. Glad to hear you and your wife are both happy with and extensively using your Volt bikes. Yes there does not seem to be that many Volt enthusiasts on this excellent forum, perhaps maybe that’s a good omen, whereby many people only use forums when problems arise on their products Leaving the silent majority happy with their machines. I choose the folder version so I could carry it in my car boot to go further afield on long days out, however since the weather has not been kind lately I have only had limited use, which has been excellent.
Cheers.

Reactions: TedG

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Yes there does not seem to be that many Volt enthusiasts on this excellent forum, perhaps maybe that’s a good omen, whereby many people only use forums when problems arise on their products Leaving the silent majority happy with their machines.
agreed.
Most problems are self built bikes or when the manufacturers have folded. The forum is an excellent resource. Long may it live.

Reactions: TedG and Trek

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Maybe many of the silent majority don't even know the forum exists !!!

• Agree
Reactions: Trek and TedG