volt pulse ebike

cardsharp1

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 18, 2019
hi guys i have a volt pulse ebike 2019 it has a thumb throttle which gives 6mph max i was wondering if i could change this to a full power throttle

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I don't know your bike, but it seems odd to have a throttle that only allows 6mph (6kph walk assist?). My understanding is that (legally) you need to be pedalling first before the throttle can give full assist.

If yours doesn't do that, say or show a picture of which model LCD is fitted; others here may be able to tell you what parameters you can change - if possible - to enable it.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I don't know your bike, but it seems odd to have a throttle that only allows 6mph (6kph walk assist?). My understanding is that (legally) you need to be pedalling first before the throttle can give full assist.

If yours doesn't do that, say or show a picture of which model LCD is fitted; others here may be able to tell you what parameters you can change - if possible - to enable it.
I'm not sure what you're saying there. Many bikess have 6km/h throttles, which are completely legal to work independently of pedalling. A full speed independent throttle is not legal on bikes sold after 2016.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
hi guys i have a volt pulse ebike 2019 it has a thumb throttle which gives 6mph max i was wondering if i could change this to a full power throttle
The answer is yes. The question is how? There's normally a way in through the LCD settings, otherwise you can change the controller and LCD to suit yourself.

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Lisburn Co Antrim Northern Ireland UK
My wife had a Volt Pulse for 2,000 miles. Excellent bike (changed only for a step through). The "throttle" was a small lever which would appear to be designed as a "boost" to assist pulling away from traffic lights etc.
It would not work unless the bike was being pedalled at the time and cut out at less than 6mph.

davell

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Doncaster
Unless anything has changed the controller and LCD are locked down. I did manage to get the passwords to open the settings but there was little you could change. Do to another fault I eventually changed to a KT sine wave controller and LCD which has proved to be far better than the volt original which is limited to speed control.

sneggysteve

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2020
Unless anything has changed the controller and LCD are locked down. I did manage to get the passwords to open the settings but there was little you could change. Do to another fault I eventually changed to a KT sine wave controller and LCD which has proved to be far better than the volt original which is limited to speed control.
I am picking up a used Pulse tomorrow. Was this an easy changover? Can you send me a link to the controller and LCD you purchased - many thanks
Steve

Reactions: pedelecvirgin

davell

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Doncaster
It was quite straight forward.

this is the controller

You can use any compatible screen from the KT range LCD3,4 etc. I used the colour LCD 8 but the firmware seems a little buggy and I would go for one of the older mono versions now.
This controller also fits in the void at the bottom of the frame so the bike still looks neat. I also bought new pass and throttle from same supplier to guarantee compatibility 43026

sneggysteve

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2020
It was quite straight forward.

this is the controller

You can use any compatible screen from the KT range LCD3,4 etc. I used the colour LCD 8 but the firmware seems a little buggy and I would go for one of the older mono versions now.
This controller also fits in the void at the bottom of the frame so the bike still looks neat. I also bought new pass and throttle from same supplier to guarantee compatibility View attachment 43026
That's brilliant - thank you
Steve

RodgeG

Just Joined
Mar 7, 2024
Somerset
@sneggysteve Did you ever happen go down this route with a new controller & screen? if so, was it an easy plug & play fix? I have the Volt Pulse with C2 control & the battery in the encased in the down tube and like other would like to reach 20mph on the flat. I sometimes ride the 10km to work, on my Pinarello road-bike it takes me 16mins, on my e-bike it take me 26mins (but i'm not so knack'd;)).

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
@sneggysteve Did you ever happen go down this route with a new controller & screen? if so, was it an easy plug & play fix? I have the Volt Pulse with C2 control & the battery in the encased in the down tube and like other would like to reach 20mph on the flat. I sometimes ride the 10km to work, on my Pinarello road-bike it takes me 16mins, on my e-bike it take me 26mins (but i'm not so knack'd;)).
The battery has just two wires to power the controller. The motor has a standard 9 pin connector. If you get a KT pedal sensor, throttle, controller, LCD and speed sensor as a set, it would be plug and play. You might have to solder or extend the battery wires.

The speed sensor in the motor would probably work directly from its connection in the 9 pin, so speed sensor is unlikely to be used.

You have to look at where your controller is to see if the KT one will fit, and check where your motor cable reaches to see if you need an extension cable.

If the controller doesn’t fit where your present one is, you can relocate it into one of those under-seat toolbags.

When you have one of those in-frame batteries, the controller can be above it or below it. If it's above, you have to thread all the wires through from the BB, which is a bit awkward. You need a bit of stiff cable to pull them through or one of those specific wire threading devices.

The KT control system is much better than the volt one. If you want, you can set the throttle to work independently up to 6km/hr, then still work up to whatever maximum speed you set as long as you pedal, which is the legal way, or you can set the throttle completely independent.

Last edited:

RodgeG

Just Joined
Mar 7, 2024
Somerset
The battery has just two wires to power the controller. The motor has a standard 9 pin connector. If you get a KT pedal sensor, throttle, controller, LCD and speed sensor as a set, it would be plug and play. You might have to solder or extend the battery wires.

The speed sensor in the motor would probably work directly from its connection in the 9 pin, so speed sensor is unlikely to be used.

You have to look at where your controller is to see if the KT one will fit, and check where your motor cable reaches to see if you need an extension cable.

If the controller doesn’t fit where your present one is, you can relocate it into one of those under-seat toolbags.

When you have one of those in-frame batteries, the controller can be above it or below it. If it's above, you have to thread all the wires through from the BB, which is a bit awkward. You need a bit of stiff cable to pull them through or one of those specific wire threading devices.

The KT control system is much better than the volt one. If you want, you can set the throttle to work independently up to 6km/hr, then still work up to whatever maximum speed you set as long as you pedal, which is the legal way, or you can set the throttle completely independent.
Thanks for the very quick reply, I will try and have a look at my bike over the weekend and see if I can decipher your reply, I fear it may be a little too much for my basic e-bike knowledge, but you never know! Thanks again.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thanks for the very quick reply, I will try and have a look at my bike over the weekend and see if I can decipher your reply, I fear it may be a little too much for my basic e-bike knowledge, but you never know! Thanks again.
You don't need any ebike knowledge to see if a wire is damaged or if a black plastic thing moves.

Last edited:

sneggysteve

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2020
Hi
No never bothered because it does everything I need - still ok after 2 1/2 years and the bike is 8 years old

Reactions: RodgeG