Voltage reducers

D

Deleted member 4366

Handy little device for powerering your phone or GPS. I used to use a similar one for ny iPhone because otherwise the battery went flat in about an hour with the GPS on. Now i have a Galaxy S2, which lasts a lot longer, so no need for the charger.

There's one thing to consider though, which I heard on ES. When they fail for whatever reason, they dump the whole battery voltage into your phone/GPS, which causes a lot of smoke and nasty smell of burning electronics.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I have this one:
Zenid e-Bike Parts

Super reliable and working with a very stable output.

The only time it failed is when I did a reverse polarity on it and hear a POOOOF!

It blew but nothing else in my bike died. :)

Just bought another one and now everything is working fine ::cool:

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Handy little device for powerering your phone or GPS. I used to use a similar one for ny iPhone because otherwise the battery went flat in about an hour with the GPS on. Now i have a Galaxy S2, which lasts a lot longer, so no need for the charger.

There's one thing to consider though, which I heard on ES. When they fail for whatever reason, they dump the whole battery voltage into your phone/GPS, which causes a lot of smoke and nasty smell of burning electronics.
I always have 1 or 2 spare battery with my galaxy. It's so annoying to have to walk or move with an additional cable on you. I just have my small battery in my wallet. And when I need it, I just plug it to my phone :)
Then I charge back the empty battery to a dedicated charger at home. Never missing energy :cool:

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
I've not tried it yet, but some on ES have mentioned that a standard universal charger for a phone/ipod/etc will happily take 36/48V DC on its mains input and output the normal 5V/3V/whatever. Facilitated I suppose by the nature of the SMPS circuitry in them. There may be a lower voltage they won't function below, of course.
I have a couple of old Nokia chargers laying around I must try.