Voodoo Bizango help

Chobbit

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
Manchester
I am loving mine, I was out on a trail yesterday, my first time off road with the Bazinga, and it was amazing!
On the flat stuff I left it in eco, and we were munching the track up, no problem. When we came across a huge hilly, and very muddy section, I popped it in emtb, and it was an utter delight!
No fuss, just keep looking where I wanted to be heading and it got there, all I had to do was pedal and hang on!

The only downside for me would also be a suspension seatpost!
Nice I love mine too now, I'm feeling stronger too however I got a puncture on the way to work and couldn't figure out how to pump up the Presta Valve as this is the first bike I've had with them. I figured out how to convert my pump to the Presta mode but didn't know you had to release the bit at the end of the valve (not the cap I'm not that daft) so had to walk for just over a mile to the nearest bike shop with a bike on just one wheel and the other wheel in my other hand. You realise how heavy these bikes are at that point lol

Anyway great bike as mentioned.

Reactions: Adamski

Adamski

Pedelecer
Nov 27, 2018
Nice I love mine too now, I'm feeling stronger too however I got a puncture on the way to work and couldn't figure out how to pump up the Presta Valve as this is the first bike I've had with them. I figured out how to convert my pump to the Presta mode but didn't know you had to release the bit at the end of the valve (not the cap I'm not that daft) so had to walk for just over a mile to the nearest bike shop with a bike on just one wheel and the other wheel in my other hand. You realise how heavy these bikes are at that point lol

Anyway great bike as mentioned.
You should have pressed the walk and + buttons...walks for you!

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

Adamski

Pedelecer
Nov 27, 2018
Update on the Bazinga!

I am officially in love with this bike!

I was riding some single track in the woods last week, in EMTB mode and blasting along between 10 and 20 mph, it took everything I could throw at it, roots, muddy hills, even an unexpected drop off!

It soaks up everything I can throw at it, as well as behaving on road... for the money it is brilliant!

smilespiles

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 23, 2019
Can i steal this thread by asking a question on the Bizango e bike .
I have just bought mine and charged it, the range it is showing on the display only shows up to 32 miles on a full charge,the bike is advertised as being able to do 50 miles if used lightly, i always make sure i am riding it gently when i check the range, do you think i need to take the battery back to be checked?
I took it out today and did 23 miles across moorland and up a some tors and it still had charge left but only showed 6 miles left. Thanks

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
The difference between 'up to' range and real range is often as much as 3::1, that is (for example) 60 miles or 20 miles. 23 miles and 6 left is very likely for 'up to' 50.

If you look at Bosch Range assistant (https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/service/range-assistant/) and play with variables like assist level, hilliness etc you'll get a good idea of the differences. Its very easy to get a 100 mile estimate with eco, slow, no wind, flat, etc; and with a few realistic tweaks to get it down to 30 miles. Even for non-Bosch bikes, with some interpretation about battery and motor type it will give good idea for your expected range under different conditions.

smilespiles

Dec 23, 2019
The difference between 'up to' range and real range is often as much as 3::1, that is (for example) 60 miles or 20 miles. 23 miles and 6 left is very likely for 'up to' 50.

If you look at Bosch Range assistant (https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/service/range-assistant/) and play with variables like assist level, hilliness etc you'll get a good idea of the differences. Its very easy to get a 100 mile estimate with eco, slow, no wind, flat, etc; and with a few realistic tweaks to get it down to 30 miles. Even for non-Bosch bikes, with some interpretation about battery and motor type it will give good idea for your expected range under different conditions.
What a great reply, thank you , i still cant understand though...how come when the battery is fully charged and i am gently riding on the lowest setting the range states only 32 miles.Surely then it ought to say 50 miles? its never going to be lees draining on the battery than that, thats why i think my battery may be faulty. Does anyone else range display more than 32 miles at any given time? thanks

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
The Bizango I see (https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/electric-bikes/voodoo-bizango-e-shimano-electric-mountain-bike-17-19-21-frames) says up to 40 miles. Also, range tends to be quite a bit less in winter than summer.

I don't know how the range estimator on that bike works. Our Bosch bike does an estimate based on just the last couple of miles or so. (That's the estimate on the bike, NOT on the range assistant). Such a short history results in absurd fluctuations; it can easily drop from over 30 to below 20 in a couple of uphill miles (maybe 100m height gain, no big hills here around Winchester), and return to 30 again at the bottom. If yours had an even shorter history it should give a good estimate for how you are riding right now, or if it has a more sensible longer history it might still remember those tors and that would explain the lower value. ('some tors' you mention is a little vague, but hills very quickly eat into your range.

If you plus bike weigh 100kg and climb a 100m hill that will take about 30wh energy (ignoring rolling and wind resistance, motor inefficiency etc); realistically around 10% of your battery.

There may be a reset on the range estimate that makes it forget its history.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0111_01.JPG

beat that ;)

smilespiles

Dec 23, 2019
Hi Thanks for that, I am still a bit doubtful about the condition of my battery and may get it looked at . I have this version which states Maximum Range - Up To 50 Mile.
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/electric-bikes/voodoo-bizango-electric-mountain-bike-17-19-21-frames
The tors i mentioned are on Dartmoor and are rough and steep so i may have made the bike think i am up them all day every day. i will try to reset the memory i think as i charged it up fully yesterday and only had a max range of 16 miles showing today...surely that not right?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The range shown/displayed is based on the last ride/use, to see a higher range indicated you will need to ride in eco at a sedate speed on flat terrain for it to increase.
Fully charging the battery doesn't instantly mean it will reset or give a max range, it is based on your last outing.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You don't need to reset, just go for a few sedate rides to see if the next time you use it the range indicated increases, you are worrying over nothing.
As in #31 SW's always reads low because he rides like he's stolen the bike or in most cases like a twat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amoto65

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
The range shown/displayed is based on the last ride/use, to see a higher range indicated you will need to ride in eco at a sedate speed on flat terrain for it to increase.
I see you have a Bosch version bike (with the 50 miles estimated range you mention rather than the 40 mile range Shimano one I saw on the site). Our Bosch bike with the Intuvia display estimates range based on the last couple of miles only so the estimate would increase quite quickly for a short section of sedate, flat riding. As Amoto65 says, setting it to eco is important to get the best. I don't know if your LCD is programmed similarly.

Looking at the range assistant I mentioned above it looks as if 50 miles should be quite a conservative value for 'up to' and (other conditions being good) it should nearly manage that even on dirt paths. However, I see you mentioned 'across moorland' and that could be your killer ... estimate drops from 75 miles for good road to 49 for dirt paths to 30 miles for soft forest paths; and your moorland could be even worse.

Try pumping up your tyres and going for a flat ride on a good road (if such a combination exists near you) and I think you may well get the range to say over 50 miles. Of course, that won't help with your typical moorland riding, but should giver a better feel for the battery and range to expect.

Last edited:

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
If I were you I would ignore the range altogether. I had forgotten that this was on the display.
Just go for a 35 mile ride over as many hills as you can and keep an eye on the LED's. This will give you a datum for future rides.
I know that I can ride 35 miles anywhere in the Peak District and Welsh bike parks and return without the last LED flashing, which still leaves 20%. I very rarely use Turbo but do sometimes use Off on the flat.

Related Articles

Advertisers