Voodoo Zobob E

Chamzamzoo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 12, 2016
As this seems to be the closest thing to a Zobop E owners group, I thought I'd share a tip and ask a question.

The dropper post cable rubs on the suspension linkage, but you can undo it and feed it the inside suspension link and zip tie it to seat post to avoid this.

Anyone thought about going tubeless? Ghetto or otherwise?

The tips about the brakes are really useful, thanks.

ejstubbs

Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2018
Having returned this afternoon from an outing on the Zobop E with my *ss and back encrusted with rapidly congealing Edinburgh hills crud, I'm wondering whether anyone has had any success fitting a larger rear mudguard than the RRP Enduroguard that I've got on there at the moment? (To be fair, I fitted the Enduroguard largely to protect the rear suspension linkage and it seems to do that pretty well.)

DavidWylie

Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2018
Leicestershire
As this seems to be the closest thing to a Zobop E owners group, I thought I'd share a tip and ask a question.

The dropper post cable rubs on the suspension linkage, but you can undo it and feed it the inside suspension link and zip tie it to seat post to avoid this.

Anyone thought about going tubeless? Ghetto or otherwise?

The tips about the brakes are really useful, thanks.
What I did was, disconnect the dropper cable at lever end, pull the cable through the frame to remove all unneeded cable at the dropper post end, then cut the spare outer cable off near the leaver and cur the cable to suit. Nice neat tidy cable and no saggy bits rubbing on frame.

TrickKit

Just Joined
Jan 17, 2019
Hi there, I'm new to the forum but have owned a Zobop E for a few month now. It's undergone a few changes, 160mm Yari's on the front, Shimano 501 4 pot brakes, Saint discs and new wheels with DT Swiss M582 rims. I have to say it was the price that swung it for me in the end. i was looking at several bikes and spec wise nothing came close. Fit wise it's near perfect, the Moustache I tried felt too short. Handling wise I like the extra weight, with the plus size tyres it feels more planted, it feels as good as my Commencal Meta.

Alot of people knock the Voodoo brand, but this frame is made by Kenisis, you can see the full details here, http://www.kinesis.com.tw/en/product-548855/I8615-2018-27-5-Plous-Bosch-Cx-Suspension.html and the spec is really good value for money. Q uite possibly the bargain of the century if you ask me.I'll post up some pictures when the weather's better and it's had a clean.

Reactions: DavidWylie

DavidWylie

Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2018
Leicestershire
Done well over 1000 miles on mine now, mostly trail/off road and it hasn't missed a beat, nothing wrong with the Voodoo brand for quality and value, hard to get that level of spec for that price.

Reactions: Adamski

ejstubbs

Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2018
Just noticed that the Zobop E has disappeared from the Halfords web site. Google finds it, but you can't navigate to it via the product selector on the Halfords web site and the in-site search facility doesn't find it.

Are they discontinuing it, or is it just a site glitch?

ejstubbs

Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2018
Made a minor upgrade to my Zobop E last night: fitted a Brand X 1x dropper post lever* in place of the XC version that the bike came with. What a difference! Much, much better located and easier to use:

DSC_2382.jpg

(Gosh, that bike is crying out for a proper clean...)

Unfortunately I also noticed this on my rear tyre:

DSC_2383.jpg

It looks and feels like fibres emerging from the carcass sidewall, but there's no obvious abrasion marks in the vicinity. I have had a couple of punctures on that wheel recently, the second of which I had to fix out in the wilds, at which point I discovered that three 16g CO2 cartridges aren't really enough to reinflate a flat-as-a-pancake 27.5" x 2.8" tyre properly (anyone know a good source of 25g threaded cartridges at a sensible price?) It might be that the damage was caused by riding home with the tyre too low on air. So now I have to see if I can find a replacement at a reasonable price.

(Reference Chamzamzoo's post from a while back, I note that the Nobby Nic Evolution folding tyre is shown on the Schwalbe web site as being "Tubeless Easy". No idea what else might be required to go fully tubeless - I have looked in to it in the past for other bikes but faffing with sealant rather put me off the idea. And I doubt it would help with a carcass sidewall failure like the above seems to be threatening.)

* CRC have dropped the price on that since the weekend when I bought it (not from them). Curse them! At least I didn't pay the RRP, anyway.

Last edited:

Eagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2012
Last edited:

Rommel

Just Joined
Sep 8, 2019
Hi guys, I have my Zobop E for more than a year, personally I've been unlucky as many times I've been swearing at it instead of riding...

-brakes are a joke. Replace with decent Shimano brakes on the rear, but I will be looking for something better, plus nobody in Halfords has been able to bleed it properly(I've done it myself, is a little bit better now).
-after 100 miles rear shock died, Halford has upgraded to a higher spec
-after 200 miles dropper post started to be wobbly, they have replaced it to pneumatic one(it gets a little bit wobbly now after another 400 miles)
-460 miles - Bosch Cx motor died. Replaced to a new one in June after 6 weeks waiting (guys did not know what to do)
-today, after around 600 miles, pedal got loose - thread on the left crank is gone, so tomorrow I need to order a new one.

I've found pedelecs.co.uk when I've been looking for the name of cranks(Halford nicely informing us on a webpage that these are "Alloy" - what a surprise, I thought these Miranda cranks are wooden!)

But nothing good to be expected for that money(last year I got it on sale for 2300 quid). I've moved from motorbikes, including enduro/cross bikes, so still a little bit new to pushbikes :) Ebikes are future, but they are still in the beginning of their journey, decent bikes are still costly, and this is a joke that you need to pay same money for decent e-bike as for a new KTM 350 EXC-F :)

But it is good as I can ride with my wife, as she has Carrera Vulcan E, and slowly will be moving to a crank drive!

Ady1

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 27, 2020
Hi. I have the Zobop, with Shimano 8000 steps motor... I'm looking for a side stand, but not seen anything suitable... can anyone recommend one pls?
Thanks
Ady

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
ebike or not I find a stand near the back of the chain stay better than one near the bottom bracket, especially with loaded panniers. With an ebike it is often the only option. If it reaches further onto the seat stays that makes it much more stable against rotating about the chain stay; and reduces the risk of overtightening on the chain stay and squashing it a bit. We got a very budget one with that design (I didn't realize its advantages at the time) and it has been excellent.

One possible one which I haven't tried but has similar design is

Ricky100z

Just Joined
Oct 3, 2023
UK, somewhere
Hello I’m probably 4 years too late, but I need to know all of the specs for the Voodoo Zobop-E, I’ve got one second hand and i need to replace the motor and find out what size and dimensions of wheels I need I know they’re obviously 27.5 but the thru axle sizes is what I need also… any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

Ricky100z

Just Joined
Oct 3, 2023
UK, somewhere
Hi guys, I have my Zobop E for more than a year, personally I've been unlucky as many times I've been swearing at it instead of riding...

-brakes are a joke. Replace with decent Shimano brakes on the rear, but I will be looking for something better, plus nobody in Halfords has been able to bleed it properly(I've done it myself, is a little bit better now).
-after 100 miles rear shock died, Halford has upgraded to a higher spec
-after 200 miles dropper post started to be wobbly, they have replaced it to pneumatic one(it gets a little bit wobbly now after another 400 miles)
-460 miles - Bosch Cx motor died. Replaced to a new one in June after 6 weeks waiting (guys did not know what to do)
-today, after around 600 miles, pedal got loose - thread on the left crank is gone, so tomorrow I need to order a new one.

I've found pedelecs.co.uk when I've been looking for the name of cranks(Halford nicely informing us on a webpage that these are "Alloy" - what a surprise, I thought these Miranda cranks are wooden!)

But nothing good to be expected for that money(last year I got it on sale for 2300 quid). I've moved from motorbikes, including enduro/cross bikes, so still a little bit new to pushbikes :) Ebikes are future, but they are still in the beginning of their journey, decent bikes are still costly, and this is a joke that you need to pay same money for decent e-bike as for a new KTM 350 EXC-F :)

But it is good as I can ride with my wife, as she has Carrera Vulcan E, and slowly will be moving to a crank drive!
Hey mate just seen your post with the amount of things you had to replace, how did you go about getting the replacement parts for your voodoo, I need to get a new Bosch CX motor also but I’m having nightmares trying to find one or the “right one” for that matter and rear shock size if you know how to get the parts or know the models/sizes please let me know asap I just need to know where to find the correct CX motor, thru axle wheel dimensions and what shock size I need to replace and i feel like you might have the answer because half of Halfords staff do not care most of the time when it comes to older models and rather say “well we can offer the newer model for full price” instead of just finding out what the older model used cheers anyway please get back to me

Related Articles

Advertisers