Vulcan e spec spokes

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
Anyone know what size the motor wheel spokes are? One has just broken at the nipple. It is a drive side spoke if that makes a difference

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I am sorry that has happened to you, but its not a big deal really, except that its the rear wheel (I assume) that makes it a bit more work intensive.....though I am no expert myself.
I have been told that once a spoke is broken, you should not ride the bike as you might slightly distort the rim...
Remove the wheel, remove tyre, inner tube and tape, measure the full length of an unbroken spoke and its thickness using a micrometer or vernier gauge, and order some new ones, (I suggest 5 as if one broke, a few more might too!) its always good to have a few spares. Reminder, often nowadays the front and rear spokes are of different thicknesses...
Set the wheel in a vice, so you can spin it horizontally, remove rest of old spoke and insert new one. Tighten slightly.
Spin wheel and see if it shows if it is slightly bent or not. Adjust spoke tension to make it as near as possible running true....
Try not to re adjust other spokes as a bad miss adjustment can be difficult to correct, or simply give the removed wheel up to a bike company!!
Have a great day either way....
Andy

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
I am sorry that has happened to you, but its not a big deal really, except that its the rear wheel (I assume) that makes it a bit more work intensive.....though I am no expert myself.
I have been told that once a spoke is broken, you should not ride the bike as you might slightly distort the rim...
Remove the wheel, remove tyre, inner tube and tape, measure the full length of an unbroken spoke and its thickness using a micrometer or vernier gauge, and order some new ones, (I suggest 5 as if one broke, a few more might too!) its always good to have a few spares. Reminder, often nowadays the front and rear spokes are of different thicknesses...
Set the wheel in a vice, so you can spin it horizontally, remove rest of old spoke and insert new one. Tighten slightly.
Spin wheel and see if it shows if it is slightly bent or not. Adjust spoke tension to make it as near as possible running true....
Try not to re adjust other spokes as a bad miss adjustment can be difficult to correct, or simply give the removed wheel up to a bike company!!
Have a great day either way....
Andy
I have experience in the matter, my old falcon spark bike broke a lot of spokes, as did my partners till we bought a new wheel. It was a poor build and low quality spokes in both cases. This one I suspect was from an impact so hopefully more won't go, the rim doesn't appear to be damaged. It snapped inside the nipple, only noticed because I was changing the rear tyre as it had gone bald. Rim is slightly out of true, I am having to use the bike but avoiding impacts of any kind until I get a new one back in. I might increase the tension around the wheel as noticed a couple were loose

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
It's easy to true a rim in frame, done it myself. Turn the bike upside down. Put a cable tie on the frame next to the rim, cut it to length so it just touches the rim at it's closest. Then start to tighten or loosen spokes by a 1/4 turn at a time. Once you get your head round it, it really is quite easy, and very satisfying.

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
It's easy to true a rim in frame, done it myself. Turn the bike upside down. Put a cable tie on the frame next to the rim, cut it to length so it just touches the rim at it's closest. Then start to tighten or loosen spokes by a 1/4 turn at a time. Once you get your head round it, it really is quite easy, and very satisfying.
Yep done it a few times myself definitely worth learning. I had already had to true the wheel earlier in the year due to spokes coming loose