Wafty Cranker here !

Wafty Cranker

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 4, 2021
Hi everyone ,This is pretty new to me although I have been lurking in the background on your forum. I own a mint condition Specialized Rockhopper with all decent components so am loathed to spend big money on a purpose built ebike with less spec’d parts. I am leaning towards a rear hub conversation with 500w of power. A rear 26” hub with black spokes and rim is needed to complement the matt black front wheel and matching frame and also looking for a triangular battery.Hope to learn from the ones that have experience on here, thanks Wafty Cranker !

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi everyone ,This is pretty new to me although I have been lurking in the background on your forum. I own a mint condition Specialized Rockhopper with all decent components so am loathed to spend big money on a purpose built ebike with less spec’d parts. I am leaning towards a rear hub conversation with 500w of power. A rear 26” hub with black spokes and rim is needed to complement the matt black front wheel and matching frame and also looking for a triangular battery.Hope to learn from the ones that have experience on here, thanks Wafty Cranker !
Are you going to build your own wheel? Just about all ready-built ones are silver spokes and black rims with the silver sides for rim brakes.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Fit a Tongshen crank drive. Fantastic, no touching wheel or brakes, easy fitting, access to all gears for e motor... Fitted a 500w to a cube mtb, easily as good as my Haibike. (probably quieter, but just as powerful, longer range but bigger battery)
Highly recommend Tongshen kit, comes in various sizes for bottom bracket but standard one fits big range. They are on ebay both uk supply but got mine from China. Saved a couple of hundred quid. If you are going off road, crank drive every time. On road, not much in it.
Took me longer to get old crank out than put Tongshen one in. Great kit.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Fit a Tongshen crank drive. Fantastic, no touching wheel or brakes, easy fitting, access to all gears for e motor... Fitted a 500w to a cube mtb, easily as good as my Haibike. (probably quieter, but just as powerful, longer range but bigger battery)
Highly recommend Tongshen kit, comes in various sizes for bottom bracket but standard one fits big range. They are on ebay both uk supply but got mine from China. Saved a couple of hundred quid. If you are going off road, crank drive every time. On road, not much in it.
How many miles has it done without any problems?

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
How many miles has it done without any problems?
The Haibike is just coming up to 5000 miles. Had 2 new cassettes /chains. Nothing else.

The Tongshen was given to daugher. (her bike). Built that around a year ago and it gets very hard use, pulling a trailer most time with a 4 Yr old in it or very technical rides. (she, s way fitter better than me)
It broke chain second time out but since then nothing. Done just short of 1000 miles. But early days. Its a very capable bike tho. Would match my Haibike easy on technical climbs and unlike mine has a throttle. Which does save day often on technical stuff.
I wouldn't entertain hub drive. Can't compare off road. IMHO of course. (got a few mates with them, they have d restricted them and leave me for dead on road. Off road climbing.. No chance.
Other thing I, ve noticed about both bikes is a legality issue. The Haibike clearly says 250 w continuous. No max level given. The Tongshen says 500w max, 250w continuous. (came with a sticker to put on bike)
I put a dongle on both bikes and went for a fast ride. We both really went as fast as possible, as hard as possible around a lady Bower route. I used my battery up in 50 mins but had done 18 miles. It's a 400w battery. Motor wasn't even warm. To my mind that must be approaching 500w continuously??? Daughter easily kept up and used about 300w.(half her 600wh battery)
I suspect when climbing both bikes easily exceed the 250w continuous but both are perfectly legal. How do they arrive at the nominal 250w continuous motor???
Think there is some poetic license going on..
Removed both dongles. Affected range too much and prefer to be legal.

Last edited:

Wafty Cranker

Mar 4, 2021
Are you going to build your own wheel? Just about all ready-built ones are silver spokes and black rims with the silver sides for rim brakes.
No mate, l am hoping to find one already built but as yet haven’t found the right one.

Wafty Cranker

Mar 4, 2021
Thanks for the advice, l may go along with your advice if l can’t find a wheel to match .