Waiting for the Go-e....

Jaako

Just Joined
Jun 7, 2016
London
Hi all!

New to the site and e-bike's in general but my brother back in Sweden managed to convince me to try it out as an option to getting a car/mc/scooter.

Currently I've been commuting to work in London (~18miles round trip) for the past two years on a single speed, but last summer I decided I needed some assistance to be able to get to the climbing gym in the evenings after work, especially winter time.
I simply can't motivate myself to head out again once I've gotten home to drop off my work stuff and pick up climbing gear to get on the bike again when it's cold and dark. My energy levels drop significantly when it's dark by the time work finishes, so I knew I needed either a motor or public transport. Can's stand public transport though, and didn't want to fork out more money on a scooter and the hassle with having one. Sold my motorbike two years ago and still feeling the relief of not having it.

So, my brother managed to convince me to try an electric motor but my perspective last summer was set so I couldn't stand the idea of the hub motors with their heavy batteries and all. He pointed me to the kickstarter project Go-e and I really liked the idea of that motor as I could see me using either of my single speeds with it. Pledged and was supposed to get motor in November.... The Go-e motor has still not been delivered yet, half a year after first delivery target, due to Kickstarter faffing... for good and bad... and my climbing stopped end of Nov until beginning of May when I got enough energy again.

In the mean time I've now changed my perspective on the whole e-bike motor thing. I'm also pretty sure that I'll hate any noise the motor makes and have the feeling that the Go-e is going to be much to noisy for me so am starting to try and find parts for a rear hub conversion.

Really don't want to spend more than £500. Currently trying to source a Bafang 48v/500W/201rmp for a 26" wheel with a 48V 10ah battery of decent quality, and then the controller and PAS to go with it. Will fit it on a steel frame cruiser style bike.

Does anyone know someone in UK who puts together batteries for a good price and who's trustworthy in regards to what batteries are used?

Cheers
Jaako

Last edited:

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Hi jaako

For batteries you need Jimmy at instat. Search for him, lots of folk have used him. Very knowledgeable, will build whatever you want in whatever mounting /bms/cells/ah. Lots of happy customers on here including me

Now I'm not banging the drum but 500w is illegal, 250w is the limit. I'm not judging just pointing out

Personally I feel like my mid drive feels more like a bicyle than my hub. The gsm kit from woosh is 250 GBP which leaves cash for a battery

Something to consider anyway

• Agree
Reactions: Steve UKLSRA